Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Harley owners- How's the new M8? >

Harley owners- How's the new M8?

Notices

Harley owners- How's the new M8?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Harley owners- How's the new M8?

Asking here, because the Harley forums are like the OSO Fountain/Cigarette threads...
Sold my TC88 Electra Glide after almost 13 years and I'm looking at newer Road Glides now. Dealers have a few leftover 2017s (1st year of engine), or maybe a new 2018 with ABS and Boom 6.5 (not a Special, can't see paying the premium for painted parts).

So who owns one or has logged some miles on the M8? Worth it, or find a Rushmore 103 and save the extra coin?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 13 orange Road Glide for sale with just over 1000 miles.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by class6
I have a 13 orange Road Glide for sale with just over 1000 miles.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not going older than 2015 when the Rushmores came out. Really want the newer fairing, 19" wheel, and one touch saddlebags.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not going older than 2015 when the Rushmores came out. Really want the newer fairing, 19" wheel, and one touch saddlebags.
Looking at 17/18 Road Glides myself.

The local dealer here(Alligator Alley) has taken 50+ 2016 models in on trade for new models after having demo weekends. Must be a noticeable difference.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Registered

Looking at the dyno charts, it looks like the M8 has about 10hp and 10ft/lbs over a stock TC103, but I'm more concerned with reliability aspect. My TC88 wasn't fast, but it was rock solid for over a decade with just routine maintenance. This may be my final new Harley if it's built right. After another 13-14 years, I'll retire, get my AARP card, a Goldwing, and then just wait around for the sweet release of death. LOL
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just returned from Daytona, heard more than one story about oil pumps failing.
Can't prove it tough,
I have done no digging.

Just saying.
Ken
Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Registered

The M8 is smoother and stronger, but still unproven for the long haul to me. Consider picking up a 15 or newer 103 for a good deal, enjoy it for a few years to see how the M8 proves out, and then make your jump. Likely won't lose much on the used 15 this way. The 103 should be much stronger than your 88, especially if the one you get has the stage 1 done.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '17 CVO SG. The M8 motors do have a nice power upgrade over the 103's. They have a small whine to them do to the counterbalance, which cuts the harley vibration to nothing. No matter what, you wont get the HD sound from a M8 unless you start at the heads, and replace every piece of exhaust on back. Sure you know that HD has been hit hard with the EPA bat and almost any change to the exhaust can void the warranty. And no tuners allowed except for the SE street tuner. The new motors have had their share of issues, from debris in oil pumps, oil migration from tranny to primary, and sumpting problems now popping up with those that have upgraded the motors. That all said, mine has been trouble free. Would I go back to a 103, nope!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered

Well, I did it....
2018 FLTRX in Vivid black gets delivered December 22. Tried to buy a leftover 2017, but 3 stocking dealers weren't moving as far as I wanted on price despite the 19* temps and snow covered earth. The fourth....well, he didn't have leftovers, but he wanted to sell, so I bought a '18 and he matched my best negotiated price on a leftover from a different dealer.
After reading about wonky infotainment with outdated maps, and the HCU problems on ABS bikes, I just went with a standard. 300w amp, 6.5" speakers, and 12" bars are on my Christmas list now. Keeping my fingers crossed that the sumping and fluid migration problems on some of the 17's were growing pains.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Well, I did it....
2018 FLTRX in Vivid black gets delivered December 22. Tried to buy a leftover 2017, but 3 stocking dealers weren't moving as far as I wanted on price despite the 19* temps and snow covered earth. The fourth....well, he didn't have leftovers, but he wanted to sell, so I bought a '18 and he matched my best negotiated price on a leftover from a different dealer.
After reading about wonky infotainment with outdated maps, and the HCU problems on ABS bikes, I just went with a standard. 300w amp, 6.5" speakers, and 12" bars are on my Christmas list now. Keeping my fingers crossed that the sumping and fluid migration problems on some of the 17's were growing pains.
check out biketronics for your audio needs, all plug in play. awesome quality and sound. had this amp and speakers on my ultra.very happy with the system and customer support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.