Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500" >

Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Notices

Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Every year these older Dodge 3500 4x4 diesels appreciate in value.
The real nice low mileage clean trucks are getting harder to find.
You can"t pay too much, you can only pay it too soon!
The good ones aren't cheap & the cheap ones aren't good!!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say the only good thing about the second gen trucks is their motor. I'm currently elbows deep in swapping my 08 f250 over to a P Pump 12 valve cummins. Its a metric sh*t ton of work but hopefully will be done soon. I just can't stand the dodge truck, but no denying it is a good motor.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Cant go wrong with a cummins. IMO, Single best thing you can do is trans fluid and filter change regularly. I do it annually. I have an 06 QC short bed, and i keep toying with the idea of selling and getting something newer, but then i think to myself "What for?" this truck is paid for and only has 90k miles. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
Cant go wrong with a cummins. IMO, Single best thing you can do is trans fluid and filter change regularly. I do it annually. I have an 06 QC short bed, and i keep toying with the idea of selling and getting something newer, but then i think to myself "What for?" this truck is paid for and only has 90k miles. Good luck with your search.
Don't Forget to adjust the bands in the trans if you have an auto. We love our 06 3500 dually.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
So what's the price tag on your Dually?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 03 3500 QC diesel which I traded in this past january on my 17 Mega Cab. The expansion of our family brought about the expansion in the cab. In regards to the old one, I loved it despite the issues I had with it. It had a lot of power for the year with the 5.9 HO motor. Only issue I had with the motor was replacing the fuel injectors. That was around 110k miles. Only tranny problem was it failed to go into Park. That was a simple fix. Some of the other fixes included a full Carli suspension system to make it ride a little nicer. That included Fox shocks, springs, add a leafs in the back and a floating anti sway bar. I also had the lovely death wobble. The fix for that was a 08.5 steering upgrade kit through Mopar, Thuren heavy duty steering track bar with a Carli steering dampener and Redhead steering box. I had a box brace but needed to remove it for the floating sway bar once the carli system was put in. That allowed me to run 35x12 tires. The stereo was upgraded with a back up camera and also added Rigid Industries back up led lights. It also had a Banks Monster exhaust. Rust was definitely an issue as the truck originally came from Michigan and I live in Pa. Traded in with about 128k miles and got 13,500k from the dealer.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike

All appreciating until it is time for me to trade one in.......then it becomes, nobody wants these old ones, they want the newer ones!

Fact is people want stuff that is easy to work on with long life expectancy. Problem is most of the trucks got driven into the ground with their first/second/third owners.

Ebay had a 2005 or 2006 2500 crew cab duramax with like 26K miles asking 39,900......I bought that same truck brand new in 2003 for less than that! The ebay truck looked like an old man camper special, long bed, mud flaps, CB antenna etc. Nice truck but 40K, no fvckin way!

I enjoyed my duramax for 8 years/170K+ miles but I drove a newer one (pulled like a freight train!) and would not want a 15 yr old truck no matter how nice it was. New one was shockingly fast compared to my old one.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
All appreciating until it is time for me to trade one in.......then it becomes, nobody wants these old ones, they want the newer ones!

Fact is people want stuff that is easy to work on with long life expectancy. Problem is most of the trucks got driven into the ground with their first/second/third owners.

Ebay had a 2005 or 2006 2500 crew cab duramax with like 26K miles asking 39,900......I bought that same truck brand new in 2003 for less than that! The ebay truck looked like an old man camper special, long bed, mud flaps, CB antenna etc. Nice truck but 40K, no fvckin way!

I enjoyed my duramax for 8 years/170K+ miles but I drove a newer one (pulled like a freight train!) and would not want a 15 yr old truck no matter how nice it was. New one was shockingly fast compared to my old one.
Boy, that is soo true about "appreciation until its time for you to trade one in!".....In my case, i'm limited to the used truck market cause I can't buy new & refuse to lease. Finding that (truck) diamond in the rough is far fetched especially
when you have time restraints (summer will be hear before long) right now I can buy this truck https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Dodge-...401336?vxp=mtr am I being too impatient?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Finding that (truck) diamond in the rough is far fetched especially
when you have time restraints (summer will be hear before long) right now I can buy this truck https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Dodge-...401336?vxp=mtr am I being too impatient?

A diesel dually with 115k miles ( which is just broken in), with no rust, can do everything you need it to, for 15k, all in all, id say what else could you ask for.... JMO.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the one on EBay uk 12 k miles 4 door , full leather . Looks like it just came out the showroom I Kidd you not .
its a 2004 I think . I have shipped cars boats from the USA to the uk no reason you can't do the same in reverse .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.