Notices

Thinking out loud.....

Old 03-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Thinking out loud.....

Heres my thought process, wondering what you OSOers think. Plan is to go on one, maybe two boat trips a year, (probably Florida and/or LOTO) and just have boat transported. Sell my pick up, which I barely use, and invest that money. I have a waterfront home here in Jersey, with a boathouse and a lift, so I don't trailer boat in and out every weekend. Theres also plenty of marinas locally, that could take the boat in and out for the season.... or I could always ask a buddy, rather pay a friend than a stranger anyway. Thinking its one less vehicle to insure, maintain, and because I'm OCD, I end up washing and waxing it after I use it, so thats also one less thing. The down side is, Ive never not had a pick up, so that kind of makes me hesitant. Am I just crazy??? Open to any thoughts and/or suggestions.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the minute you sell your truck...that's the moment you will need it the most lol. I have 2(one was willed to me from my grandfather years ago and one my daily driver)

Think about this..not knowing your boat at all just brain storming....middle of july and you pop an outdrive, prop, whatever...your buddies are all busy or out of town and the marinas are tied up being the middle of the season for the next 2 weeks and you have a trip planned next weekend....now you're stuck with a broken boat on a lift...obviously there are things you could do but you get my point...I just got my daily truck back from the body shop after it was there for a month and about lost my mind in that month...seemed like I needed a truck every day and the 2nd truck does NOT travel outside in the salt...stays in the barn all winter...so I was stuck

Just food for thought...I couldn't imagine not having a truck....but then again I've been daily driving a pickup since I got my license as I live in a farm area and we use trucks on the farm and stuff all the time but regardless you get my point...

I think in the end you will regret getting rid of the flexibility of being able to tow your own boat, camper, car hauler, U haul trailer, whatever....whenever you want
Old 03-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Nice having boat on lift, that is for sure. Not sure id be comfortable not having a truck though. I like knowing I can get the boat out anytime I need to. I also seem to use the bed all the time, and I'm just a white collar accountant. Dirtbike, four wheelers, trips to the dump, soccer gear for the kids, etc..... But it all depends on your circumstances
Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I can tell you from experience that the minute you sell your truck...that's the moment you will need it the most lol. I have 2(one was willed to me from my grandfather years ago and one my daily driver)

Think about this..not knowing your boat at all just brain storming....middle of july and you pop an outdrive, prop, whatever...your buddies are all busy or out of town and the marinas are tied up being the middle of the season for the next 2 weeks and you have a trip planned next weekend....now you're stuck with a broken boat on a lift...obviously there are things you could do but you get my point...I just got my daily truck back from the body shop after it was there for a month and about lost my mind in that month...seemed like I needed a truck every day and the 2nd truck does NOT travel outside in the salt...stays in the barn all winter...so I was stuck

Just food for thought...I couldn't imagine not having a truck....but then again I've been daily driving a pickup since I got my license as I live in a farm area and we use trucks on the farm and stuff all the time but regardless you get my point...

I think in the end you will regret getting rid of the flexibility of being able to tow your own boat, camper, car hauler, U haul trailer, whatever....whenever you want
I hear what you're saying, being at the mercy of others, which has crossed my mind and has me hesitant. The only fortunate thing for me, is I don't use or need it as a daily driver. Appreciate your thought.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Nice having boat on lift, that is for sure. Not sure id be comfortable not having a truck though. I like knowing I can get the boat out anytime I need to. I also seem to use the bed all the time, and I'm just a white collar accountant. Dirtbike, four wheelers, trips to the dump, soccer gear for the kids, etc..... But it all depends on your circumstances
Boat is my only toy, and have no kids, so thats two less things to worry about. . I agree tho, it is nice knowing you can yank your boat at anytime, if need be.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Owning a truck is somewhat mandatory if you were born with testicles. I’d at least find something that could do double duty in a pinch. Cadillac suv or such.

Edit in: You can always purchase another truck in the future if need be.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 03-19-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Owning a truck is somewhat mandatory if you were born with testicles. I’d at least find something that could do double duty in a pinch. Cadillac suv or such.

Edit in: You can always purchase another truck in the future if need be.
Haha. Yea, it might take a little getting used to, not having a pick up. Very good point tho, if it becomes too inconveniencing, I can always get another.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Not knowing how expensive of a truck you are talking about...
...how about selling it and picking up a beater? Pick one 8-10 years old, not rusted to pieces, clean with some highway miles. Then you don’t have to worry about it being pristine or where you park it.

I put myself in a bad spot a couple years back by having my truck fully custom painted. I couldn’t let it out of my sight for the most part as I was ridiculously anal about it. I ended up buying a beater truck for errands and such. I went through 3 of them until I ended up with a beater that I had a hard time parting with, eventually.

I don’t work construction or anything, but I do live rural. And I could not imagine not owning a truck. I am back to a new/big one in the barn for hauling; and a 2014 F150 6.2L hot rod for a DD.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I don't use my truck as a daily driver and never have., Work from home now and have the boat on a lift. But I keep the truck as its paid for and if I need to get something, tow the boat whatever its there.

The cost of insurance per year isn't worth the hassle of me not having it anytime I need it.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All good points guys. Appreciate your thoughts. Has anyone gotten rid of their truck and live to NOT regret it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.