Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How often has 4 wheel drive / 4x4 /4WD got you up a slick ramp? >

How often has 4 wheel drive / 4x4 /4WD got you up a slick ramp?

Notices

How often has 4 wheel drive / 4x4 /4WD got you up a slick ramp?

Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Wouldn’t consider one without 4wd. Not only for going up the ramp, but locking the front end as well as the back when you put it in park.

Google boat launch fails on YouTube and you will be convinced.

You don't need it until you do...
Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the four wheel drive.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
Wouldn’t consider one without 4wd. Not only for going up the ramp, but locking the front end as well as the back when you put it in park

actually that is false,the parking pawl is in the transmission ,makes no difference if its a 2WD or 4WD
Old 06-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Registered

I am 4WD drive guy myself,but with that said you guys do realize a 2WD has a higher towing capacity,
Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
actually that is false,the parking pawl is in the transmission ,makes no difference if its a 2WD or 4WD
Sure it makes a difference with typical pickup truck chain/gears transfer case (vs some viscous type in some other vehicles) and it is in 4wd.

If you remove the rear driveshaft, the frt tires will keep you from rolling.

Or if you remove the frt driveshaft, the rear tires will keep you from rolling.

And if you remove frt and rear driveshafts you will roll.

=====================================

If the power from transmission gets to the ground, the power from the ground gets to the transmission. Thus why the parking Prawl keeps anything moving that is connected to the transmission solidly(not viscously).
Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Sure it makes a difference with typical pickup truck chain/gears transfer case (vs some viscous type in some other vehicles) and it is in 4wd.

If you remove the rear driveshaft, the frt tires will keep you from rolling.

Or if you remove the frt driveshaft, the rear tires will keep you from rolling.

And if you remove frt and rear driveshafts you will roll.

=====================================

If the power from transmission gets to the ground, the power from the ground gets to the transmission. Thus why the parking Prawl keeps anything moving that is connected to the transmission solidly(not viscously).
I replied to his statement which was locking the front and rear axle when you place the transmission in PARK!

what you are saying is totally different ,you are talking about a u joint or drive shaft snapping while in park which you are correct,but I have been doing this a looooooong time,and I can tell you I have never seen or heard of a ujoint or a driveshaft braking once the car is placed in park.

Sorry,Been rebuilding transmissions,differentials,transfer cases,etc for the last 34 years,have more GM training than I care to have, been GM master tech for at least 32 ,what I post it is correct,if the Parking Pawl breaks you are rolling,I dont care if its 2WD -4WD ,sorry just facts

If you think I am wrong in my above statement please go to your truck ,find a hill,place the truck in 4X4 put the car in neutral which is the same as a parking pawl breaking,release the brakes and please come back and let us know if the truck rolled or not,I know the answer but others might benefit from the experiment.

and in some cases having a AWD is worse than a 2WD if the viscous clutch inside the transfer case starts to fail your truck will roll even if its in park,so in some situations a 2WD is better,

my above statement is in regards to rolling while in park not pulling a boat out of a wet ramp,obviously a 4wd is much better in that situation

Last edited by boatnt; 06-15-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Most of my launch experience has been with Scarab's, big Cats in such. San Francisco Bay waters. Launch ramps change a lot with the tides around there. Our most used ramp was a tad awful at low tides.... the bottom of the concrete ramp would be a drop-off .
( Man-o-man..... The entertainment, watching humans launch/haul out trailers w/ boat was memorable !! )

I was waiting for our Scarab to return to the ramp in low tide one day. It seemed EVERYONE had issues getting their longer trailer tires to "jump" the bottom ramp when hauling out.
So, here comes our 36' Scarab...... We back down as far as needed...... The boat mounted onto the trailer..... Then the boat driver "punched the throttle".
We went about 20 mph up the ramp!!
Showing the other people at the dock side..... " That's how you do it !! "

( FYI..... Arneson )
Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Never heard anyone say I wish I got the 2WD truck instead!....lol!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Never heard anyone say I wish I got the 2WD truck instead!....lol!
Uh, yea......Huh?

I always had a long tow strap in the bed. "OP4WD".**

** "Other People's 4 Wheel Drive"
Old 06-15-2019, 09:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by mountie
Most of my launch experience has been with Scarab's, big Cats in such. San Francisco Bay waters. Launch ramps change a lot with the tides around there. Our most used ramp was a tad awful at low tides.... the bottom of the concrete ramp would be a drop-off .
( Man-o-man..... The entertainment, watching humans launch/haul out trailers w/ boat was memorable !! )

I was waiting for our Scarab to return to the ramp in low tide one day. It seemed EVERYONE had issues getting their longer trailer tires to "jump" the bottom ramp when hauling out.
So, here comes our 36' Scarab...... We back down as far as needed...... The boat mounted onto the trailer..... Then the boat driver "punched the throttle".
We went about 20 mph up the ramp!!
Showing the other people at the dock side..... " That's how you do it !! "

( FYI..... Arneson )
Pat (owner of Active Thunder) and I have done that a bunch of times at the 14th Street Ramp in Pompano, as that ramp can get really slimy on low tide.

Also, I've gotten stuck at the TOP of a ramp before, due to the long trailer and a sharp break-over angle from the parking lot. Yes, the Miami Outboard Club (off the causeway b/t downtown and SouthBeach) is a TERRIBLE ramp, but it's convenient for putting in/out for the Miami Boat show. We had to transverse the top of the ramp at a 45* angle, AND put the truck in 4-LOW to drag the (cheap/shop) trailer across the concrete edge. That was the year we put two 37's in the Miami Boat Show in front of the Marriott. After the high-center happened the first time, I told Pat to hold on, as I was backing down the ramp "at speed" which I did. That wasn't the best idea, as the trailer had surge brakes and I may have slid down the ramp a LOT further than I planned.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.