Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Trouble shooting inop Tekonsha Hydrastar system (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/361376-trouble-shooting-inop-tekonsha-hydrastar-system.html)

F14A water jet 06-21-2019 04:20 PM

Trouble shooting inop Tekonsha Hydrastar system

I have a new to me triple axle Manning trailer with dual hydraulic brakes (on the back two axles). The trailer has a Hydrastar (electric over hydraulc) with a six pin plug that I confirmed was working when my buddy towed it home with his 2018 Ram 3500 (with integrated brake controller).
I just purchased a 2000 Excursion with an aftermarket Tekonsha Voyager XP control box.
I was pleased to see that the truck receiver and the trailer plug were of the same configuration and mated right up.
The green light on the controller lit up and I adjusted the power control knob to max and adjusted the level control (left knob) until the light changed to orange/red.
However, when I tried to adjust the braking power (right side) from 12 O'clock by using the manual power slide bar. I never got ANY braking from the trailer...although the LED light changed from green to red.

Any suggestions?

shunter2005 06-21-2019 06:47 PM

According to etrailer that controller does not work with EOH.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/39510.html

Nuts and bolt of the video:

Now this is designed for use with electric brakes only. It will not work with electric over hydraulic.

Now, you MAY be able to "fool" this controller by using 2 electric brake magnets wired in right after the actuator, so the controller sees resistance and then work (again, it may or may not work), but it would probably be easier to buy a new controller. Tekonsha Prodigy is cheap enough and will work with EOH.

F14A water jet 06-21-2019 07:35 PM

Wow...great find!!! Not arguing but very curious because I saw on the web that my system was compatible.
I have a Hydrastar Serial Generation 7 model HBA 10 (1000psi) Series - #313800 and up
Brake Controllers Compatible with HydraStar

Thanks...I'll order the Prodigy
GREAT FORUM

shunter2005 06-21-2019 07:52 PM

Drum or Disc?

F14A water jet 06-21-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by shunter2005 (Post 4693140)
Drum or Disc?

Hydraulic drum...https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...2e27e62642.jpg

shunter2005 06-21-2019 10:19 PM

Man, there are so many quirks with controllers, EOH actuators and other parts, with what works and what doesn't. It gets confusing. I have a factory installed controller and it is designed to work with electric brakes only, but I used the Hydrastar CAM and have had not problems with the OEM controller recognizing the EOH system.

F14A water jet 06-22-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by shunter2005 (Post 4693155)
Man, there are so many quirks with controllers, EOH actuators and other parts, with what works and what doesn't. It gets confusing. I have a factory installed controller and it is designed to work with electric brakes only, but I used the Hydrastar CAM and have had not problems with the OEM controller recognizing the EOH system.

As you say...the CAM may or may not work for $103...the new controller (for EOH) is $100...order, done.thanks!

shunter2005 06-22-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by F14A water jet (Post 4693185)
As you say...the CAM may or may not work for $103...the new controller (for EOH) is $100...order, done.thanks!

Great. You are going to be much happier with EOH once you get the new controller. Good luck.

F14A water jet 06-26-2019 08:58 PM

Right now I am not any happier :-(
I put in a Prodigy P2 and set it up to default for Electric over Hydraulic (EOH). I am getting no error messages and I rigged up an electric probe/light to confirm I am getting voltage to the blue pin/blade at the 5 O'clock position on my trailer hitch plug. I also confirmed that I am getting voltage (13 max, when I use the manual brake slide/knob) on the blue wire going into the Hydrastar. I do not hear anything going on inside the Hydrastar "box"...but I really don't know what I'm looking/listening for.
Any ideas?

shunter2005 06-26-2019 10:31 PM

I wrote a long reply, but like the village idiot, somehow I dumped it before I sent it. So, you should hear a loud humming sound from the actuator when activated. If not, make sure you have voltage on the black wire out of the actuator when brakes are applied. Also, white ground should be connected to the vehicle ground (not the trailer ground) via the 7 prong plug. Lots more in the Hydrastar manual. Here you go:

https://www.hydrastarusa.com/pdfs/In...20Manual_2.pdf

Trouble Shooting Tips from page 8:

Unit will not run or the unit will not shut off • Verify that the trailer and tow vehicle are wired according to the electrical schematic shown on page 5. • Perform the following checks to determine if the unit is functioning properly:
Step 1
• With the unit running and brake pressure applied, determine that a minimum of 8.5 volts DC are reaching the Hydrastar’s™ black wire. • Check to see if the white ground wire runs directly to the tow vehicle ground. IT MUST NOT BE GROUNDED TO THE TRAILER ONLY. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THIS GROUND WIRE RUNS DIRECTLY TO THE TOW VEHICLE’S BATTERY GROUND. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Step 2
• Detach all wires from the Hydrastar™ leaving only the blue, black, white, and yellow or blue w/ white striped wires. It is important that the unit is disconnected from any other wires going to the towing vehicle or breakaway switch and breakaway battery. Failure to do so may result in a faulty test.
Step 3
• Using a 12 volt battery, connect the white wire to the negative (-) terminal of the battery. • Connect the black wire to the positive (+) terminal of the battery. • The motor should not run. • If the motor runs, the unit needs repaired.
Step 4
• Leave the white wire connected to the negative (-) terminal of the battery. • Connect the blue and black wires together to the positive (+) terminal of the battery. • The motor should run and the unit should pressurize. • If this does not occur, the unit needs repaired.
Step 5
• Leave the white wire connected to the negative (-) terminal of the battery. • Connect only the yellow or blue w/ white striped wire to the positive (+) terminal of the battery. • The motor should run and the unit should pressurize. • If this does not occur, the unit needs repaired.
Step 6
• If the unit checks OK, reconnect the wires leading to the trailer plug and repeat steps 2 through 4. If you do not get the same results as before, the problem is in the trailer wiring or the electronic brake controller.

There is also a schematic on page 10 of the manual that is very helpful when trouble shooting problems.

Hopefully, it is just a wiring problem. Sounds like a ground problem to the vehicle, if the unit does not fire up when you apply the brakes. You might also call Carlisle and talk to their shop guy, who does most of their installs. He is very helpful and will walk you through the whole process if necessary. He was a wealth of info when I had questions. Sorry, I don't remember his name, but I think he is the only install guy there.