Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum. >

Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Notices

Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just redid mine after a Similar experience ( how embarrassing) Tractor supply has the exact size/length/thread pitch!
Old 08-22-2019, 03:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bringlecake
Every time you have new tires or wheels installed, or your tires changed over, a team member at the store will ask you to come back the next business day or within 50 kms to get your wheels re-torqued. It’s free and it’s fast, and it’s important for your safety
Well..... I had taken that one off because I needed to repack the bearing after the bearing cover had come off..... no ones fault but mine...

Last edited by Mightyhardlivin; 08-22-2019 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mightyhardlivin
I just redid mine after a Similar experience ( how embarrassing) Tractor supply has the exact size/length/thread pitch!
Did you just forget to tighten them?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Registered

Tightened them down on the jack, wife showed up.... left it on the jack and went into town. Next morning dropped it off the jack and went to the lake....
Old 08-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Ok this thread got me thinking, so I did a test. I just put brakes on my vette and hit the lugs with my trusty impact set at about 75ftlbs. I then torqued the nuts to 110ftlbs using my click torque wrench. Took it out to break in the pads which generates pretty good heat in the rotors and wheels. Pulled back in the garage and hit the wheels again with the same torque wrench. I found some of the lug nuts had loosened and needed another 1/8 turn to get them to spec. I then took a 285 mile trip and checked them again, albeit with a different torque wrench. I found some had loosened up again although not by much, maybe 10ftlbs. Now I am running aluminum OZ wheels on the vette and they may expand more due to heat than steel wheels. I have checked my trailer pretty regularly and they seem to stay tight. Just an FYI.