Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Truck Oil Plug Cracked (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/362495-truck-oil-plug-cracked.html)

3pointstar 08-18-2019 08:48 PM

Truck Oil Plug Cracked

We have a 2004.5 GMC 2500 Duramax. I took it to the GMC dealer to have the oil changed along with a new fuel filter. I bring the truck home and let it sit a few hours and there is a puddle of oil underneath. The next day I checked the oil and it was still safe to drive- I took it back to the dealer and told them of the problem. They put the truck on the hoist and said the plug was leaking -- well DUGH - but when they unscrewed it - the plug actually was split in half - I have never seen or heard of anything like that. For sure there is no way that so much torque could have been applied to that bolt to cause the crack - Stuff happens

3pointstar

speicher lane 08-19-2019 06:29 AM

Never be surprised by what happens at a dealership.... had a friend take his wife's Toyota in for a service (plugs/ belts/oil and ???)... as he's waiting he can see the "Tech" putting the plugs in with an air ratchet (window next to waiting area)...

10 minutes later the service mgr comes over and told him he needs head work and they were working on a quote for him...

On a separate note but in keeping, a tech at the local marina chain clearly stated that "...for $X (Hourly service charges) they can F_ck anything up!"

Jupiter Sunsation 08-19-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 3pointstar (Post 4702636)
We have a 2004.5 GMC 2500 Duramax. I took it to the GMC dealer to have the oil changed along with a new fuel filter. I bring the truck home and let it sit a few hours and there is a puddle of oil underneath. The next day I checked the oil and it was still safe to drive- I took it back to the dealer and told them of the problem. They put the truck on the hoist and said the plug was leaking -- well DUGH - but when they unscrewed it - the plug actually was split in half - I have never seen or heard of anything like that. For sure there is no way that so much torque could have been applied to that bolt to cause the crack - Stuff happens

3pointstar

It probably cracked when they dropped it on the ground.....:D

I'd want to look at that oil pan to see if that got damaged when they used the impact gun to install the drain plug!

SB 08-19-2019 09:17 AM

You guys are over critical.

How the fuk does a drain plug crack / break ? Piece of schit parts !
Like said, even if way overitigtened it should not break. The oil pan should would or atleast strip. Jeesh.

If you work on stuff daily you'd crap yourself on how parts are made these days, even from the OE,

Feel free to see my thread here on new/current OE Mercruiser SBC exhaust manifolds. They are casted wrong ! The whole damn run of them. Buyer beware ! :(

3pointstar 08-19-2019 04:06 PM

Folks I know this couldn’t happen but it looked like the bolt split in half at a seam. In all the years I’ve seen bolts made never seen them with a seam

Quinlan 08-19-2019 04:25 PM

Same sort of thing happened to me at Chevy dealer-
next morning after oil change noticed nice puddle under. live 5 miles from dealer- went right back- said get it on lift now plz-
well while I was waiting I figured they cross threaded or something so I bought new one from parts.
Hour later still nothing- said fuk this and just went and got my truck and left.
Went to quick change place and plug was just hand tightened lol. Do you need a plug??

zz28zz 08-20-2019 09:23 PM

Sounds like the Chinese have found yet another critical part to manuf and contaminate the spare parts pool with.

speicher lane 08-21-2019 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by zz28zz (Post 4703026)
Sounds like the Chinese have found yet another critical part to manuf and contaminate the spare parts pool with.

BUT, there are order compliant and approved. the manufactures go to china b/c they are CHEAP ( Warranty and recall's are already factored in and priced into the MSRP of a vehicle before they are even released to the public)

Craney 08-22-2019 03:52 AM

Trained mechanic caused the leak.

zz28zz 08-25-2019 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4703071)
BUT, there are order compliant and approved. the manufactures go to china b/c they are CHEAP ( Warranty and recall's are already factored in and priced into the MSRP of a vehicle before they are even released to the public)

It's the non-compliant non-approved ones that somehow make their way into the supply chain that I worry about.

In the elec components industry, it's getting pretty bad.
The counterfeits nowadays look almost identical to the real deal. We're now forced to test new components before entering them into stock. Our costs go up, customer is forced to pay more. It effects everybody eventually and it's only getting worse.