Notices

Deselecting overdrive

Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Deselecting overdrive

I will be towing about 9,500 pounds ~600 miles from central North Carolina to Pensacola, Florida. I may try to avoid Atlanta traffic so I will using I-85 or a more southern route through Ga./Al.
My question is, should I de-select overdrive on my transmission (and what are the pros/cons for doing so).
I have a 250,000 mile, 2000 V10 Excursion with towing package and electric brake controller (trailer has a Hydrastar EOH braking system).
Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Depends on the load, grade and speed imo. I don't put my Tahoe in trailer mode ever when towing my boat -6500ish lbs. Never needed to. I would watch tranny temp and feel how engine is running. If it's lugging or tranny temp is hot than turn off od.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

As far as traffic is concerned, I use the App "Waze".... its a freebe that will alert you to traffic snarls and reroute as well as radar trap/sitting police up ahead - not just here in North America but i have used it around the EU as well.

If you have a trans temp gauge, it can dictate what you can get away with... The trailer mode give a higher shift point (possibly harder shirft and may not give top gear as in a "sport mode" car) if your truck is popping and dropping through gears in the hills - cheaper to pay for the gas than a trans. once you are in an area where you can get up to speed and the truck is not laboring, I opt for the mileage and go back to trailer when coming up to a hill.

9500 is a good pull...how old is the trans fluid?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The only time I’ve ever locked out OD when towing was in the mountains, on any of my trucks, ever.
Else, just select the tow/haul mode (if equipped) and send it.

I agree on the transmission temp gauge, invaluable info.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That truck should have an automatic tow/haul mode, meaning there is not a tow/haul switch to engage.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Its not common on Ford 4r100/E40d like your excursion has to need to put in 3rd from 4th unless it going in and out of lockup as trans is quite beefy unlike some 1/2 ton stuff, Smitty