Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   EOH Brake (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/365113-eoh-brake.html)

Padraig 02-24-2020 07:46 PM

EOH Brake
 
I have a Velocity VR 1 on a Ameratrail tandem aluminum trailer. The trailer has disc brakes on both axles. The boat hauls well and stops ok. However after reading many posts about surge vs EOH I think I would like to upgrade. My tow vehicle is a 2013 Yukon XL (Suburban) with the tow package. It does not have a brake controller but I understand it is just a matter of plugging one in.

All that being said, how difficult a job is this? What brands and models do you like? Are there any to stay away from? Are all controllers pretty much the same and do some work better with GM vehicles?

Thanks,

Padraig

shunter2005 02-25-2020 03:01 AM


Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4726727)
I have a Velocity VR 1 on a Ameratrail tandem aluminum trailer. The trailer has disc brakes on both axles. The boat hauls well and stops ok. However after reading many posts about surge vs EOH I think I would like to upgrade. My tow vehicle is a 2013 Yukon XL (Suburban) with the tow package. It does not have a brake controller but I understand it is just a matter of plugging one in.

All that being said, how difficult a job is this? What brands and models do you like? Are there any to stay away from? Are all controllers pretty much the same and do some work better with GM vehicles?

Thanks,

Padraig

It's not that hard and you won't be sorry if you make the change. It is so much better with EOH... There are a plethora of controllers to choose from. I would look at Tekonsha or even Hopkins. If I remember correctly, any aftermarket unit will connect to a set of marked wires (must be hardwired in) from the harness under the dash. You should have a wire tucked away between the battery and fender that has to be connected to the fuse stud (30v) in the fuse box under the hood, to get power to the controller. Also a wire down low under the master cylinder that must be connected to one of the fuse studs (40v) for power back to the 7 way trailer connector. Pretty simple to make it work.
GM service bulletin for installing aftermarket controller. Info from etrailer:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-0007...e-Control.aspx

You have to remove all your surge stuff and weld the coupler solid. Then decide where and how you want to mount the unit and battery. It takes a couple of hours to make the complete install. I like the Carlisle Hydrastar as the unit is completely sealed, but lots of people swear by Titan. Make sure you purchase one for disc brakes.

Sydwayz 02-25-2020 07:20 AM

Tenkosha Prodigy, whatever the latest edition is, is probably your best bet on the controller for the truck.

I would look at BrakeRite or Hydrastar EoH actuator for the trailer. Be certain to mount it as far forward on the trailer, and at least 6-8" higher than the trailer frame, so it never gets wet on a shallow or poorly designed ramp.

Baja_260 02-25-2020 07:29 AM

I also used the HydraStar plug and play kit on my triple axle trailer. Front two axles are disc brakes. If you donít feel like welding the surge coupler or if itís a bit worn, just replace it with a new solid coupler. In all it took me a few hours to install including time to bleed the calipers, nothing complicated if youíre reasonably handy with mechanical work. The difference over surge brakes is tremendous, it was the best $700-800 bucks spent on that rig. Best part of EOH is that if you get a slight sway at highway speed, just dial in a little bit of drag to straighten everything out instantly.

F14A water jet 02-25-2020 07:46 AM


Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4726759)
Tenkosha Prodigy, whatever the latest edition is, ... Hydrastar EoH actuator for the trailer.

I am new to this size boating and this is what I have for a Formula 311 and Ford V10 Excursion. I just towed about 900 miles...without any issues.


F-2 Speedy 02-25-2020 07:46 AM

I run Dexter, and its submersible ( water proof )


30ftpanther 02-25-2020 08:25 AM

I installed the BrakeRite 2 RF, the in cab controller is a radio controlled.Just plug it in cigarette lighter on any vehicle and your good to go.
https://www.brakecontroller.com/brakeriterf.htm.
Also installed Kodiak SS disc brakes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...ak/K2R35S.html.

Padraig 02-26-2020 08:41 AM

Thanks everyone!
Sydwaz, any good suggestions to raise the mounting height?
I will likely buy a new Coupler rather then weld up the existing one. Might as go all new and never really liked the latching mechanism on the one I have now. Any suggestions. looking at bolt on.
I see that E trailer sells a complete kit with junction box, break away etc. Is that a good way to go vs piecemeal?

Padraig


green lightning 02-26-2020 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4726910)
Thanks everyone!
Sydwaz, any good suggestions to raise the mounting height?
I will likely buy a new Coupler rather then weld up the existing one. Might as go all new and never really liked the latching mechanism on the one I have now. Any suggestions. looking at bolt on.
I see that E trailer sells a complete kit with junction box, break away etc. Is that a good way to go vs piecemeal?

Padraig

I bought a kit from E trailer and I had good results

Padraig 02-26-2020 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by green lightning (Post 4726931)
I bought a kit from E trailer and I had good results

Which kit did you buy? How was the install?

Thanks,

Padraig


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.