Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Unloaded Trailer Violently Shaking Tow Vehicle >

Unloaded Trailer Violently Shaking Tow Vehicle

Notices

Unloaded Trailer Violently Shaking Tow Vehicle

Old 05-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Tire(s) are wasted. Storing on grass is THE worst.

Concrete
Pavement
Wood with shingles on top
Wood with teflon (cutting board sheets) on top
Gravel
Hard dirt

---in that order are the best tire placement surfaces for storage. You HAVE to get them away from the moisture in the ground, as they allow the water to wick into one part of the tire, and that throws off the composition of the rubber, and can lead to degraded belts as well.

Also, purchase some "Amfor" tire covers from Amazon. You need to cover the tires from UV rays as well, mondo important.
I should clarify. While the lot is grass the vegetation under the trailer is dead so the tires sit on dirt. Additionally, I've had UV tire covers on all of my trailers since day one of ownership.

For all others noting their trailer bounces.
This issue is much more extreme than bouncing, in fact I don't see the trailer itself moving abruptly but the truck rides like a bull. As explained above it's the same as violent straight axle hop from loss of traction in sand while in tow.

Keith
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

I don't know if you have tried this or not, but did you jack up the trailer and spin each tire looking for a major run out in a tire or bent hub?

As already stated, a separated belt, bad tire or bad assembly only amplifies the bounce oscillation with speed on heavier capacity trailers with no cargo weight to suppress it
Old 05-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had trailers that have sat for the Winter etc. and the tires were most likely flat spotted and took some time to work that out. I know that when towing our Aluminum flatbed trailer empty that it has little to no tongue weight, I added weights to the tongue and also added one of the slop eliminator devices to the hitch setup. It basically eliminates any sideways or up and down play that the bar has in the receiver. Doing both made a world of difference when towing empty.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
I don't know if you have tried this or not, but did you jack up the trailer and spin each tire looking for a major run out in a tire or bent hub?

As already stated, a separated belt, bad tire or bad assembly only amplifies the bounce oscillation with speed on heavier capacity trailers with no cargo weight to suppress it
I'll get a look when installing new brake pads either this weekend or next. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

When i upgraded from LT tires to the 14 ply gladiators, i put a bag of equal in each one. self balancing and makes towing a dream, even unloaded.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
I had one do that, had a bulge in the tire. I could watch it shake in the mirror.
That always makes me nervous. Had one blow one time and thought I lost the trailer and boat for sure.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

What is this all about? Details please! :-)

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
When i upgraded from LT tires to the 14 ply gladiators, i put a bag of equal in each one. self balancing and makes towing a dream, even unloaded.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When I got my new wheels for my dually they had to use the equal to balance them....I did not want weights on the edge of the rim or tape weights inside the wheel. Worked great but not sure how much they put in each wheel.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SC288
When I got my new wheels for my dually they had to use the equal to balance them....I did not want weights on the edge of the rim or tape weights inside the wheel. Worked great but not sure how much they put in each wheel.
What does the thin paper package look like when coming out years later?
Old 06-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
What does the thin paper package look like when coming out years later?
The "pouch" that holds the beads is very thin. they basically disintegrate as soon as the tire rotates.

I have never opened up a tire and find anything other than the beads. And they fall everywhere when the tire is re-opened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.