Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2020 Ram Integrated Brake Controller >

2020 Ram Integrated Brake Controller

Notices

2020 Ram Integrated Brake Controller

Old 06-18-2020, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hydra star has a good quick video on their website. You disconnect all wiring from the unit then use a separate battery and connect the blue and black wires together. Connect the blue/black to the positive battery post and the white wire to the negative post and the unit should run. Mine just clicked.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:12 AM
Registered

I installed the Hydrastar unit and it does work with the Ram controller. I am not sure that the truck fully recognizes the controller as I can not switch to electric over hydraulic mode. I post this because there seems to be no information about this.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it give you a message? Something like "Trailer connected"?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:51 AM
Registered

No it doesn’t give the trailer connected. I’m thinking I may need a hba cam if I want all the features to work.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need more pictures of the boat!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc View Post
No it doesn’t give the trailer connected. I’m thinking I may need a hba cam if I want all the features to work.
So, what features are you talking about? Is it working now at all? What does it do? Can you hook up your trailer, drive off and then stop using just the manual controller from a roll? My 2019 GMC just shows "trailer connected" on my DIC when I connect and then the amount of trailer gain that I have it set at. Do you have power at the truck connector? Should be pin at 5 o'clock.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to offend the dodge crowd but...........Awesome Cummins power....but dodge has always been a few or more years behind with tech.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Registered

The brake controller does not give any trailer connected message. The trailer brakes are applied when the truck brakes are applied and when the manual control is applied. The brake controller on the truck has 4 settings you should be able to select when a trailer is detected. Light Electric, Heavy Electric, Light EOH and Heavy EOH. The default on the truck is light electric and by the chart I should be using heavy eoh but without the trailer detected I can't switch it. I have not tried it on the road, just on the driveway, but it worked well. So the features that will be missing are selecting mode, detection of disconnected trailer, trailer mileage, etc... Adjusting the brake gain did change the amount of brake applied, so I do have brakes but maybe that do not work as well as they can.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:28 AM
Registered

PM sent
The following users liked this post:
SkiDoc (06-30-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Registered

Just towed with the Ram controller and the new Hydrastar unit. The truck does not recognize the trailer but the brakes work well. I think the Ram controller is like the GM unit in that the HBA Cam is necessary for the truck to recognize the trailer. It works well enough that I will let it go this way til winter. My rig is only about 10k so if you tow more you might want to install the Cam from the start. Thanks to Shunter for his input.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser