Notices

29 fountain with Chevy 1500

Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I tow my 27 to the ramp with my BMW at times. You'd be fine with a V6 1500.

The following users liked this post:
Nothing personel 353 (11-13-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I changed my stock rotors (2013 1500/5.3) for the PowerStop units with the towing pads and it made a WORLD of difference along with some rear airbags. If I had better gearing(3.08/33” tires) and EoH brakes it would be quite comfortable with my 272 Islander.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Notice everyone is now talking about BRAKING?

Add Electric over Hydraulic on the trailer, a good controller in the truck and you will feel much better. I did this on a 2004 Tahoe pulling my 272 and it made all the difference in the world. Inspires Confidence when slowing the load down with traffic around on all sides. Worth the money.

I now have a 2500 for long tows but still use the Tahoe for most short trips.

Just realized OP was from June. Oops. Oh well.

Last edited by tgorbett; 11-10-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: OP inJune.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don't Ask the Internet

I'm not being smart here ... My butt puckers every time I read a post like this or talk to someone about "will my truck pull it" ...

Have you even seen a 1500 on its roof, on the interstate BEHIND a gooseneck camper with its contents spread allover the interstate? I have ...
Have you ever seen what happens to a human body in a rollover? I have ...

I am a Fire Fighter/Paramedic ... I have a Class A ... and I've operated some pretty heavy stuff up to 80,000lbs ... I'm no expert, but here's my two cents:
  • Your truck has a tag on the door jamb that will tell you exactly how much weight it can handle. The owner's manual has more detailed information.
  • Your trailer hitch class determines how much weight you can put on your ball and how much weight you can pull.
  • Your truck's tires have a load rating. If your load exceeds your load rating then you cannot safely tow
    • Air pressure effects load rating
  • You can increase your towing capacity somewhat by using trailer brakes
  • The only way to know how much your truck weighs is to weigh it. Same with the boat/trailer combination.
  • Go to a CAT Scale to weigh --- Weigh your truck full of fuel, then attach your trailer and weigh the combination.
    • CAT will provide you with tickets that show axle weights -- use this to determine if your truck is able to carry this weight based on manufacturer specs
This should be enough information to get you started, but I might add that add - and I didn't write this -- "Trailer GVWR is most critical to determining when a CDL is required. When a trailer has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more and the combined GCWR of the truck and trailer is 26,001 pounds or more, a CDL is required by the operator." ... That said, be certain you are under 10,000 lbs ... aside from safety I will tell you that while you will most likely be able to get away with towing a house down a secondary road, DOT will pull over a passenger vehicle and trailer combination if it looks sketch; and they can weigh you roadside... ask my buddy who gets ticketed regularly for driving a dump truck and pulling a bobcat with a passenger car license.

Beyond all this tech stuff ... I love you man. I've watched a lot of people die, moved dead bodies and picked up body parts off the road ... the risk is absolutely not worth it. I use a F350 turbo diesel dually to pull a triple axle wedge trailer and at times I felt the truck is not enough. Let the actual numbers be your guide, and stay safe. I hope to NEVER meet you upside down on the interstate.
The following 3 users liked this post by Inotropic:
30outlaw (06-21-2021), speicher lane (06-17-2021), Wildman_grafix (11-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Watch this video.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

welp.. it was over a year later and we ended up purchasing this boat. Looking for a trailer now near Topeka ks, or LOTO. most likely going to pick the boat up next spring and have it stay at the lake through the winter. Was able to race it in the shootout this year at LOTO for the ultimate test drive.

The following 3 users liked this post by DallasBAJA:
OFFSHOREJOJO (09-18-2021), Quinlan (09-01-2021), SB (08-31-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago I towed a 32' Active Thunder with a 01 Tahoe Z71 it wasn't fun going across country, but it would work. I had a Whipple super charger with bags on the truck.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Im sure the Whipple helped lol