Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch? >

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

Notices

Anybody ever use a Shocker hitch?

Old 10-10-2020, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
some times when a serge system hits hard, its either low or out of fluid, air in the system or just wore out
Agree
I'm in fresh water and had changed the triple axle over from surge to just electric drum
Old 10-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 101 Posts

I tried this one on the boat and it made it bounce more . I did not like it . Does a great job on my works trucks with lighter trailers .
Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 AM
Registered

Dont trust those adjustable deals anyhow, I stick to a solid one piece hitch for my boat .. bad things can happen with those adjustables.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
Dont trust those adjustable deals anyhow, I stick to a solid one piece hitch for my boat .. bad things can happen with those adjustables.

That looks like a B&W receiver? Hard to tell where it broke. Looks like a taller one with lots of adjustment?
Old 10-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Registered

The part that goes in the truck is missing
Old 10-15-2020, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh, that looks painful. How do you explain that to your insurance company? I thought I had to make tight turns getting in and out of my garage and driveway.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

In my experience, you don't want a hitch with any give AND surge brakes. The drawbar will independently react with the surge brake system, and they will bounce back and forth with each other, reducing braking drastically.

1) As Griff mentioned, use that type of hitch drawbar tightener to take out the slop. That affect towing comfort DRAMATICALLY. I ALWAYS tow with a device of that type or similar effect.
2) A sound 100% operational surge brake system, shouldn't clunk.
3) Converting to EoH is WORTH EVERY PENNY. Having towed the EXACT same boat (literally dozens of 37 Active Thunders on different trailers; EoH is absolutely worth the price of admission.
Remember surge brakes don't work in reverse. And they also do not work very well if the truck and trailer are NOT in a straight line. If you emergency brake to avoid something in front of you, AND you turn the wheel, the surge brake coupler lets up, and will likely push you right into a full jack-knife. Drive your truck and trailer at 10mph around a corner in a parking lot, and jam on the brakes. I guarantee you will not be pointing in the same direction you aimed. I inadvertently found this out years ago.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 298 Likes on 150 Posts

I could not believe the difference using the clamp. No more clunking at all.
BTW, I got it based on some older posts made by Sydwayz
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

There’s no substitute for eoh/disk, but a clamp like Griff pointed out and keeping the fluid lines full and bled goes a super long ways to making surge brakes livable. Airbags make a huge difference even on HD rigs as it helps keep the load off the springs and you’re riding on air instead.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Last year I added disc brakes to my second axle, this year I attended to add EOH but life got in the way. I will definitely add it next spring.

Padraig