Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   brake job (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/368914-brake-job.html)

30outlaw 10-12-2020 09:49 AM

brake job

So the formula 280ss (~10k) trailer needs a brake job/upgrade/re-do along with lighting redo.it is a tri axle with surge drum on 2 axle's. Just picked the boat up this summer so the condition is a little unknow but the surge brakes do not work at all. cost is approx. the same do I go all 3 axles full electric or run EOH drum on just 2 axles.... it is a fresh water boat only so full electric doesn't concern me. the Baja has EOH disk on all 3 axles and its great, but I'm not spending the money on this boat/trailer to go that route. I have a 9 mile short slow tow to the lake every weekend with maybe 1 or 2 tows a season that is maybe 3 hours and I'm thinking this is a 3-5 year boat before it goes down the road.... but still need/want brakes that function when I need them....

AllDodge 10-12-2020 10:16 AM

Boat weight 6300

Cheapest route, replace master cylinder and brake parts

Being fresh water - go full electric which requires welding up the hitch so it doesn't move. (this is what I did to my other trailer, and bought new trailer later with same) 10K boat

30outlaw 10-12-2020 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4761312)
Boat weight 6300

Cheapest route, replace master cylinder and brake parts.

Being fresh water - go full electric which requires welding up the hitch so it doesn't move. (this is what I did to my other trailer, and bought new trailer later with same) 10K boat

for a single 7300 for twin plus I assumed 2k for trailer.... minor in reality

yeah cheapest but I cant stand surge brakes, want to upgrade away from them at minimum.

I am/have been leaning this way, being a 2003 trailer I assume not much is going to be good or reusable on the current parts. , just don't want to be disappointed after the work is done...

shunter2005 10-12-2020 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 30outlaw (Post 4761318)
for a single 7300 for twin plus I assumed 2k for trailer.... minor in reality

yeah cheapest but I cant stand surge brakes, want to upgrade away from them at minimum.

I am/have been leaning this way, being a 2003 trailer I assume not much is going to be good or reusable on the current parts. , just don't want to be disappointed after the work is done...

Just do electric brakes on the same two axles. If surge will stop you on two axles, so will electric. You are only going 9 miles a whack. How bad are the drums? If good, just new electric complete backing plates, controller, wiring, weld the coupler or buy new and call it a day. Shouldn't be more than $500 total. Easy one day install taking your time.

Forgot -- Also a breakaway kit, but still under $500 total.

Helmwurst 10-13-2020 06:23 AM

etrailer.com. I re-braked my cargo trailer last year. I upgraded from manually adjustable to auto adjust, new battery box and all the parts were factory parts (Dexter Axles) in sealed boxes.