Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer Components Recomendations >

Trailer Components Recomendations

Notices

Trailer Components Recomendations

Old 12-08-2020, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trailer Components Recomendations

Some old lady t-boned my trailer, totaled it. I hunted around for trailers here in southern California, market is a joke. I almost imported a trailer from Florida but after looking into aluminum I beam trailers I decided that I'm going to build my own. It's going to be a 10.5K GW trailer, torsion axels, aluminum disc brakes. I'm wondering if I can get some input from guys with nice trailers on the make\model of axels, calipers, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a hydraulic 12in disc setup, I think I want stainless calipers but I don't think I want stainless rotors. If anyone has experience with particular types or brands or recommendations I'd appreciate it. Boat weight 8K lbs loaded, trailer will be dunked in saltwater.

thanks

Tom
Old 12-09-2020, 12:51 AM
Registered

Anyone running Timbren setups? I just came across this article on running torsion axels in tandem, it's worth a read. Sent me on a search for alternatives to what I had though was currently the best setup. I drag my boat a couple hundred miles each way every time I take it out and it's an old boat so I'm looking for the smoothest ride I can get. I tried to sleep in the boat on the way home one time and found out the ride from my ****ty old leaf springs was absolutely terrible. I'm not writing off torsion axels quite yet but I'd love some feedback from anyone who runs either setup.

Here's the Timbren setup:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...SR5200S01.html

and the articke on torsions in tandem:

https://mechanicalelements.com/torsi...dem-or-triple/
Old 12-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I will only put on the Stainless brake systems , rotors and all . My people go from fresh to saltwater , only thing that will stand up over time.
A leaf spring suspension with properly rated springs will be your best bet. Torsion axles are an easy way to build , but not worth a **** as far as ride.
Ive built trailers for everything imaginable .But hands down the leaf spring will be better , they handle sharp turns , uneven roads and the improperly balanced trailer load .
Torsions will not spread the load evenly between tires side to side. I did build a custom 3 axle race trailer that hand fabricated air ride suspension. Ride was like a cloud , the only draw back was
the bags were to small 3" , need to much air psi , so they tended to bounce . Needed custom shocks to kill the bounce. Next one we built hand 6" bags used 30 psi air .
rode so good , everyone wanted to ride in the trailer , no one would drive the truck !
The following users liked this post:
tbev (12-09-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 PM
Registered

I've had a box trailer for a racecar with torsions that was the best riding trailer I've ever had. I've had 30ft goosenecks, lots of under 30ft boat trailers, toyboxes, utility trailers and flat deck car trailers all of them with leaf springs have been pretty rough compared to the car trailer with torsion axles. Are you running anything else with the springs, I'm not talking about bags, but something else that helps the springs out ? I spoke with a couple trailer parts distributors today and they all said the Timbren setup was better but I've never seen a boat trailer with them.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:58 AM
Registered

Most production trailers with springs , have way to much spring or way to little , because the manuf doesnt know what will be hauled.
If the springs are matched to the load ( pretty easy on a boat trailer ). The ride will surpass the torsions . Every trailer Ive ever had or worked on ,
with torsions was way harder on tires , and tended to shuffle around on the road more , especially with high loads or top heavy loads. I'm in an
area where we have 3 large production trailer manufactures , the only reason they use torsions is speed and convenience of building.
Ive never used the Timbren Suspension , looks interesting , but still a glorified torsion . If you
use them I'd like to hear your opinion on them compared to a torsion.
tbev (12-19-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 164 Posts

I just completed entirely rebuilding my trailer with new axles, brakes, springs, etc. the only thing I used that was original was the side rails. I agree with Dunnitagain springs are the way to go. Like stated take the time to plan it out with the correct weight springs and it will ride great. I suggest Kodiak stainless disks and Hydrastar EOH master cylinder.

The following 3 users liked this post by 1Zoom:
87MirageIntruder (01-08-2021), dunnitagain (12-12-2020), ICDEDPPL (12-22-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I’ve always wondered why trailers don’t have shocks. Seems like an easy way to minimize the motions from the trailer rolling onto the truck. Any experience either way with that? Airbags do sound awesome though. ;p
Old 12-11-2020, 05:40 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I’ve always wondered why trailers don’t have shocks. Seems like an easy way to minimize the motions from the trailer rolling onto the truck. Any experience either way with that? Airbags do sound awesome though. ;p
My 33' Toy Hauler has shocks and leaf springs over 3 axles. I didn't know shocks existed for trailers either until I purchased my TH. I replaced them when I installed all new brakes, bearings, and tires. And the new shocks definitely made a difference.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...MaAl7VEALw_wcB
Baja Rooster (12-16-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 08:26 AM
Registered

Here is one I did for a 33 Eliminator a few years ago .

Reverse Lights

Moved the Axles Rearward about 16",

Old 12-19-2020, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dunnitagain. I'm looking to an air bag system on my car trailer. Interested in getting some input on a design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.