Notices

Headlight bulbs

Old 12-20-2020, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you everyone for all your advice.

I am sure that installing a HID system is probably the best,, but I don't really want to go through the expense and experimentation at this time.

Like some of you have recommended, I think I am going to go with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's in the plastic headlight housing, and LED's for the fog lights, That should be an improvement over what I was using.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Sydwayz provided a good link above.

This is a pretty informative video.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/.../low_high_fogs

Old 12-27-2020, 08:33 PM
2jz
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice truck real work horse with 6.0l
I have a 2001 and tried everything to get better brighter light for driving. HID, LED in headlamp lens and fog lights. Denali projector lens is the reason why hid buld doesn't work best in this setup
My simple fix was to remove factory fog lamp assembly and install 3in led flood lights
Super bright best move i made
The following users liked this post:
Revd Up (12-27-2020)
Old 01-12-2021, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

morimoto hid retro's, best money I every spent. upgraded the 2015 duramax and the 2016 yukon headlights and fogs. hit up the guys at theretrofitsource.com (i am not affiliated in any way) lots of knowledge and help before during and after the point of sale.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have tried just about everything, I do a lot of night time driving on unlit roads so I need the best. I have an 03 Suburban with 360,000 miles on it so I know what has worked for me. Sylvania's didn't last a year, after the third set they refunded my money and told me to try something else. I ended up totally customizing everything. I bought Anzo headlight assemblies as they had a better reflector and lens design. I got a Painless wiring headlight relay kit that allowed the low beams to work when I hit the high beams. I also got a relay kit that powered the headlights right off the battery so I could use higher wattage bulbs. I also had to switch to ceramic sockets because the 100W Nokya bulbs would melt the plastic sockets. I've now had the Nokya bulbs in for almost 10 years and they still work great. The biggest problem is that the reflection off of the roadside signs is blinding. I can see 1/2 mile in total darkness now and with low beams and high beams on I get a wider spread which helps watching for deer and critters crossing the road. They are even brighter than the headlights on my 15 Yukon Denali. I'll be changing those soon as well. I've also had good luck with Cibie sealed beams. They used to make an off road only set that fit in the old rectangle headlamp configuration in my Trans Am. Best part of those is they were so bright that any radar cops were blinded and by the time they were able to read the radar unit I was long gone.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm a little late to the party, but I've been experimenting with upgraded lighting in all of my vehicles since the mid-70's. To say that I've been there and done that will all of the latest fads in lighting would be an understatement. That said, I'd like to suggest that "drop in" HID or LED bulbs are not the greatest idea. Yes, they do work a bit better in projector style housings - which the OP has - but in housings designed for halogen bulbs - like fog lights - they're a big no-no. To save me a little typing, I've attached a link to a thread written by one of the world's leading experts on automotive lighting - who also happens to be a friend of mine. As much experimentation as I've done, he's done a hundred times more and has much better test equipment. Yes, the thread is from a Toyota Tacoma forum, but what he talks about goes for any automotive light.

Why LEDs should not be run in Halogen reflectors | Tacoma World

On a related note, if you really want to upgrade the performance of your fogs, you really have to replace the whole unit(s). There just isn't any viable bulb swap that will gain you a significant upgrade in performance without blinding oncoming drivers. What I would suggest is something like a Diode Dynamics SS3 LED fog light. They come in 3 levels of performance (Sport, Pro and Max) and unlike most of the aftermarket replacement fogs, these are all fully SAE compliant / road legal. I have a set of their SS3 Max selective yellow fogs in my truck and the amount of light they put down is simply staggering. Oh, and nobody flashes me either. (Proper aiming is critical here though.)
The following 3 users liked this post by Too Stroked:
Padraig (01-17-2021), Revd Up (01-17-2021), ThisIsLivin (01-18-2021)