Notices

Headlight bulbs

Old 12-17-2020, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headlight bulbs

I have an older Yukon Denali that takes the halogen 9005 light bulbs.

There are so many choices out there I figure someone on here knows what ones are the best to buy.

I see you can upgrade to LED bulbs, but they say they don't get hot enough to burn off the snow on the headlights. I don't want to do a bunch of modifying, just want to keep it simple but bright.

What do you recommend?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:53 PM
Registered

Here's what it looks like
Old 12-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

What year is your truck? Do you have a pic of the headlights themselves? LED's can work in SOME headlights, but sometimes a high quality halogen bulb is best. Or going to a Plug and Play HID setup.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:50 PM
Registered

Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 PM
Registered

What halogen bulbs do you recommend?
Old 12-18-2020, 12:19 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

I'd get the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.
The following users liked this post:
RedBoatFl (01-12-2021)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:06 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I'd get the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.
Great light output, not so good longevity. Less than a year if you commute.
The following users liked this post:
Gimme Fuel (12-21-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Given that you have an actual basic projector style headlight, I would personally try HIDs.
I have bought from this joint before, and I am VERY happy with the results:
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/
They do not sell the cheap crap, their quality is top notch with a lifetime warranty.

You can't just stick an HID in a regular reflector housing, and expect it to perform. HIDs need to be "projected" to the correct pattern in front of you. You could look at swapping your lower fog lights to an LED assembly, and I think you will see a nice improvement as well.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I got these back in Feb. easy plug and play and I have been more than happy with them so far.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-19-2020, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've tried almost every headlight bulb out there for a factory housing, then changed the housing to a projector bulb w/halo ring, tried other bulbs and nothing really seems to last or perform like the newer projector HIDs by the factory in vehicles.
All the bulbs claim these marvelous improvements over stock " X% more light, brighter, whiter and post the pictures which lead you to buy that said bulb. In the end, they don't really perform any better than the previous bulb you just had!
The housing if glass, it's probably going to be the best and will far out last any plastic headlight housing (which is mostly used today). Try to keep the clear plastic housing cleaned/waxed as the bulb heat, sun and environment will cause the plastic to discolor/fade over time. If the housing is faded, this will then diminish the overall light output from the already crappy bulb through the plastic lens to the road.
Next, there are so many counterfeit items on the market today, when buying online, be cautious of the seller - it's ridiculous how many counterfeit items are on the market being sold by major retailers (wally mart, amazon, etc). Phillips, Sylvania, etc all have counterfeit products out there being sold by these major retailers and their third party vendors/suppliers!
As mentioned by Sydwayz, I would swap the lower fog lights for some LEDs, this is probably going to provide you the best bang for the buck. Find some direct replacements for the whole housing, 45-55watt equivalent. Make sure the wiring is good, if not use the factory "hot" wire and wire up via a relay so you know you're getting full power to the bulbs (might also want to ck the factory headlight wire harness for this same setup). With the LED fog/driving lights, I'd bet $ you'll have much better lighting directed to the road, spend less doing it and not be frustrated with trying to change/modify the factory headlight setup.
Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.