Notices

Towing w/ Gas?

Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I m looking thru the BT thread to find the pic of a F150 hooked up to a 46 BT. It was just to move it iirc, but that poor truck looked like the suspension was getting crushed. If I can find it, I’ll get it posted.

side note, I pulled my 43 BT a few hours with a V10 excursion that I had airbags on and it seemed to do ok. It sucked fuel like crazy but seemed to pull ok. Slowing and stopping is where I noticed the excursion didn’t have the braking or weight like the dually I had at the time did to feel like I was in control. Trailer has surge/disc brakes on all 3 axles.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

I’ve towed w/everything from junk (when I was young/poor) to nice and have seen huge differences.

For me, power aside (and I tow long distances), I want as long and wide of wheel base as I can find, as good of suspension, killer brakes (truck and trailer!), great/new tires, a spare (and jack, tools etc), tire plug kit, fix a flat, multiple tie downs etc.

You know you have a decent set up when you hit the base of a mountain and engine/Trans temps barely move by top.

Im also big on proper tongue weight and leveling the trailer.
I carry a plastic bin in the bed of my truck w/every trailer tongue/ball configuration (including adjustable) known to man.

I think to fully appreciate towing w/a nice rig, you have to start w/junk.

I remember selling trailer boats in the ‘80’s and the new trailer boaters were always most concerned w/getting the boat up the ramp.

I always told them, imagine hitting the start of a long climb, in August @ 90 w/the AC cranked, your vehicle full of people and gear....., then call me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
endeavor1 (02-22-2021), Wally (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
I m looking thru the BT thread to find the pic of a F150 hooked up to a 46 BT. It was just to move it iirc, but that poor truck looked like the suspension was getting crushed. If I can find it, I’ll get it posted.

side note, I pulled my 43 BT a few hours with a V10 excursion that I had airbags on and it seemed to do ok. It sucked fuel like crazy but seemed to pull ok. Slowing and stopping is where I noticed the excursion didn’t have the braking or weight like the dually I had at the time did to feel like I was in control. Trailer has surge/disc brakes on all 3 axles.
I love that the Excursion has the straight axle suspension. You can do a lot with them. Amazingly the 3.5L has almost the same torque as a v10. 420 lbft vs 425 in the v10. I don't know what they have for brakes. Before I installed the pole tongue adapter I had my rig on a regular hitch to bring it home and the trailer brakes weren't hooked up. I had several lights I had to stop for coming down from 55 mph. I was real surprised how nicely it stopped. With the EOH hooked up and adjusted properly you don't even feel the difference in braking while towing.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkX66
You mean respond to you the super moderator that doesn't even know what gvwr is? Respond to guys that don't even bother reading a whole response? Respond to guys that post bs like the caliper that doesn't belong to an Expedition? I think I'll pass on trying to have anymore of a conversation with you thanks...
I don't think you even know where the calipers are on your truck!!

Otherwise good grief!!
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

So many people have a need to let others know that their new toy or new to them is great. I get it! I have done it myself at times. There are times when advice is given that doesn’t fit with our line of thought. That is when you need to step back with an open mind and try to see what that person is saying and why they think what they do. I have a 2019 1500 Silverado that I use to pull my boat. It does a great job on MY boat. BUT I was looking at a 35 footer as a second boat. My truck will pull the 35 footer without an issue. It is after all under my max trailer weight. Now when I include the triple axle steel trailer with two spare hub and tire assemblies I want to get with it, almost 1000lbs fuel in the boat, full fresh water tank, I also carry about 100lbs of extra tools and straps in my truck, a full tank of gas in the truck, I may also have a 100lb dog in the truck and may add a front receiver to slide in a pulling winch. With all the added weight I am over the max. Will my truck still pull? Sure, and pull great if I add airbags and or a WD hitch. Will I ever have an issue with it??? Probably not as I have never had an issue trailering before. BUT… will I get a boat that size and weight before I get another truck… NO! As others have said it’s about safety of others around us on the road. These smaller trucks can pull and pull great but are not designed as well to control the heavier loads.

BTW: If Sydways is recommending something about towing… you should step back with an open mind and try to see why what you are doing is not a good choice. I will assume you have trailering experience but I know he has a considerable amount of experience when it comes to trailering. In addition if almost everyone has the same feeling about the way you are towing, again… step back with an open mind and try to see why what you are doing is not a good choice. I will say your truck looks great! For towing something several hundred pounds lighter it will be perfect! BUT it just may be a little too light for what you are asking. Good luck with whatever decision you decide make.
Sydwayz (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
So many people have a need to let others know that their new toy or new to them is great. I get it! I have done it myself at times. There are times when advice is given that doesn’t fit with our line of thought. That is when you need to step back with an open mind and try to see what that person is saying and why they think what they do. I have a 2019 1500 Silverado that I use to pull my boat. It does a great job on MY boat. BUT I was looking at a 35 footer as a second boat. My truck will pull the 35 footer without an issue. It is after all under my max trailer weight. Now when I include the triple axle steel trailer with two spare hub and tire assemblies I want to get with it, almost 1000lbs fuel in the boat, full fresh water tank, I also carry about 100lbs of extra tools and straps in my truck, a full tank of gas in the truck, I may also have a 100lb dog in the truck and may add a front receiver to slide in a pulling winch. With all the added weight I am over the max. Will my truck still pull? Sure, and pull great if I add airbags and or a WD hitch. Will I ever have an issue with it??? Probably not as I have never had an issue trailering before. BUT… will I get a boat that size and weight before I get another truck… NO! As others have said it’s about safety of others around us on the road. These smaller trucks can pull and pull great but are not designed as well to control the heavier loads.

BTW: If Sydways is recommending something about towing… you should step back with an open mind and try to see why what you are doing is not a good choice. I will assume you have trailering experience but I know he has a considerable amount of experience when it comes to trailering. In addition if almost everyone has the same feeling about the way you are towing, again… step back with an open mind and try to see why what you are doing is not a good choice. I will say your truck looks great! For towing something several hundred pounds lighter it will be perfect! BUT it just may be a little too light for what you are asking. Good luck with whatever decision you decide make.
I appreciate your thoughts, but Sydways is a tool the way posts. He and his cheerleaders can keep their opinions to themselves or post away. It doesn't matter to me either way. I'm well versed in trailering. I've been trailering everything from my 69 Camaro in my enclosed trailer to race cars, motorcycles, boats and God only knows what else for more than 30 years. Yes, I'm much older than that. I wasn't trailering when I was born. I understand some of their points, but unfortunately Sydways threw himself into something Cheech and Chong started after blazing a few too many. Sydways may have some knowledge or he might be a keyboard warrior. I don't know him and the way he comes across I don't care to. He made some statements and that's fine. He's stated his opinions. Move on...
I do what I do with my eyes wide open. My mind is also wide open, but I choose based on my first hand knowledge to do what I do. I don't base my opinions on something I read on the internet and I definitely don't compare someone else's tow set up to tow setups that are completely different like the good folks in this thread keep doing. They're even comparing the 3.5L to the older 5.4L which isn't anywhere near the 405 lbft and 325 hp the 3.5L is. It's a completely different drive train. One nitwit keeps posting pics of brakes etc. that probably go to a Prius. They sure aren't the ones on my 17 Expy or the 07 I had before it. If someone wants to throw back a few and discuss this further, let's do it, but arguing on the internet is pointless. I'm responding to you because you posted a rational post. Just in case you didn't catch it before, my boat weighs about 9,920 lbs WITH the trailer. It's not the 15k lb tank or skidsteer or whatever else others would have you believe. Imaginations have gone wild on this thread.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Sywayz you like the Z36 Powerstop brakes and rotors? I was looking at them just was not sure,so they are worth the money.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

my boat weighs about 9,920 lbs WITH the trailer.
In your fantasy world maybe, not in real life.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:45 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
In your fantasy world maybe, not in real life.
he did say there was no engine in it in post 34.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
ICDEDPPL (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
Sywayz you like the Z36 Powerstop brakes and rotors? I was looking at them just was not sure,so they are worth the money.
Absolutely I do. I highly recommend them.

I drive my street truck daily driver pretty hard. I have additional rotating mass with the wheels and tires (on both trucks). The Z36 upgrade kit is VERY well designed to offset those specs. And they perform flawlessly when towing.
General rule of thumb is NEVER put cross-drilled rotors on a race/track car. But they are perfect for street use. Cross-drilled rotors, when they do fail will likely do so by cracking across the drilled holes. Track use where the rotors stay hot(ter) will make that happen. That's not the case with slotted rotors.
Cross-drilled rotors for a street driven vehicle where you might have one giant heat generating event, (a panic stop), and then go back to gradually cooling is why they work well on a street driven (and towing) vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.