Notices

New 2022 GM HD truck order date

Old 03-29-2021, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 130 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
LOL

While I'm not willing to debate that thought, I do have to admit the technology behind Advanced Fuel Management and Dynamic Fuel Management is pretty impressive.

I'm a dealer brat; it seems like I started sweeping in my dad's store about the time I could keep both ends of a broom off the ground at the same time & started washing cars about 14 and really started paying attention to the car biz in the mid-late 80's. I remember "high output heaters" as an option, flipping the air cleaner over "for better mileage" (dad at least pretended to believe me) and Ford releasing their AOD trans (1980? )

The cliche "They don't build them like they used to" is true, but it's a damned good thing they don't. Ridiculous, reliable HP, multi gear trannys, engine management controlling when compression ignition occurs, magnetic suspension, computerized climate control, sophisticated crash management, abs, traction control, etc etc ...regardless of your flavor preference, it's a great time in the auto industry. Sometimes I think we all should find an old pickup with a C6 trans & crank windows and take it for a test drive; it won't take long for the nostalgia of wear off lol. 65 mph, on a crowned back road, in an original (small) Bronco with a 302 / C6, was really frickin' fast. Headlights ? Where do you think George Lucas got came up with the phrase "Use the force, Luke" ? I know where...he drove an an old car down the backroads at night.

Unfortunately, when you remove a "widget" from the supply chain that all that gee-whiz tech is dependent on....Houston, we have a problem.
I agree that the new tech is impressive and I’m very impressed with what my little 5.3 can do replacing what only big blocks could do years ago, but it’s also a little delicate from a consumers perspective that owns the truck beyond warrantee.

I’m pretty excited about the newer and larger displacements in the HD trucks and probably my next horse.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
I agree that the new tech is impressive and I’m very impressed with what my little 5.3 can do replacing what only big blocks could do years ago, but it’s also a little delicate from a consumers perspective that owns the truck beyond warrantee.

I’m pretty excited about the newer and larger displacements in the HD trucks and probably my next horse.

"Delicate from a consumer's perspective" is a very nice way of putting that, and I understand exactly what you mean.

The tech is definitely a double edged sword. More tech means many more inherently fragile pieces and increased difficulty in correcting the inevitable "burps" to the system. It's also rapidly becoming very difficult for "Joe Owner" to work on their own stuff.

The increased performance has also led to a narrower margin for error, whether the result is lights & limp mode or before something impressively catastrophic happens.

The early diesels would just about run on grease, and were very forgiving in terms of air filter quality. If you get a bum load of fuel now you're likely to be using roadside assistance. Maintenance ? Continue to run a clogged filter and you're asking for problems, especially if you ignore the warning lights. Here's a helpful hint; if you delete the DEF system, make sure your programmer doesn't disable the warning lights because if you neglect to change the plugged filter the motor makes enough "suck" (think the old joke about a golfball through a garden hose) to ingest the air filter. Impressive, if you think about it objectively. No, GM won't warranty that.

On the other hand, to offset some of that delicate nature, due to modern technology IE machining techniques and much more precise assembly tolerances, vehicles aren't (usually) essentially disposable at 80-100k miles anymore. 100k used to be a noteworthy accomplishment. Today it's an afterthought.

What we see - what I think the whole industry now sees - is a shift in the type of repair we're making in the shop. We still see mechanical stuff, but now the majority of what we see is electrical, and if it's something mechanical that puked, we look to see if it was caused by a dorked sensor. A vehicle which won't start isn't necessarily a dead battery or a starter that died, it might be a cheap sensor in the tranny which erroneously told one of the control modules not to engage the starter because the car was still in gear. Trans puked ? Was it mechanical failure due to a poorly machined part ? Or did a sensor cause it to burn up? You have to figure out "what happened", then you have to figure out if the sensor went bad, or something in the wiring harness, or ...you get the picture. It's frustrating explaining to a customer their $100 sensor took 16 hours to replace because of where it was located and there were 47 other things to be verified before you replaced the sensor . When I graduated from high school, it was common for someone who maybe wasn't the best book student, but was mechanically inclined - a gearhead - to get a job as a mechanic somewhere. If those days aren't done yet, they're damn near gone...our techs are all computer literate and good students because they have to be. The mechanics who don't read well but can tune an engine by ear are going the way of the dinosaurs.

I guess that's the tradeoff; some of the stuff that makes it possible for you to take your diesel pickup to the drive through window without turning it off, or your 6 cyl Mustang/Camaro to put out 300 hp and run a high 13 / low 14 second 1320s make them be a bit more delicate.

The vast majority of our HD sales - and sell a bunch of them - are diesel powered. We also sell primarily 3500s. We're the highest volume horse & stock trailer dealer in MI and live weight tows "harder" in general than a boat or travel trailer. The new 6.6 gasser is impressive, especially compared to our old 6.0, but while there's nothing really wrong with the 6 speed trans I think GM is handicapping it by not putting it in front of the 10 speed the D-Max gets. Ram's 6.4 is also very cool. The entry fee is also much less money for the gas engine, which means it takes more miles per year to justify the expense, but with gas going north that gap should narrow. If we can just get some....

Again, sorry to get out of the OP's lane...

The following 3 users liked this post by Slippery:
Baja Rooster (03-31-2021), CooperS7777 (04-09-2021), Gimme Fuel (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That’s great information and your time explaining that.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have experience with a 2018 Chevy LTZ w/ a 5.3L motor I want people with "real" towing experience. Sorry if this is not the place to post this. Thank's
Old 03-31-2021, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 130 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1 View Post
Does anyone have experience with a 2018 Chevy LTZ w/ a 5.3L motor I want people with "real" towing experience. Sorry if this is not the place to post this. Thank's
I have a 2013 LTZ with the 5.3. Even with 33” tires and 3.08 it’s pretty impressive for what it is. I tow a 272 Islander which is a 25’ single engine boat. I’d say that’s about as much as I’d do with it and I have air bags and keep distances pretty short. A heavier duty truck would be far more comfortable with any distance involved.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

The interior in the HDs won’t be updated until 23
The following users liked this post:
endeavor1 (04-09-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1 View Post

I have a 2019 Crew cab, short bed and the 5.3 with DYNAMIC FUEL MANAGEMENT if that helps? Just last week on a trip to the beach I was able to get just over 27mpg without the trailer!!! Normally I get about 24-25mpg without trailer. My old setup would be lucky to get 18mpg not towing. Those are all highway figures. Combined I get about 22mpg with the 5.3. As for towing, I only pull a little over 7000lbs (boat, trailer and “stuff”). I am very happy with the power and control when towing. It has no issue climbing or descending long, steep mountains. It also has no “pucker factor” on the one lane tight, twisting and turning back roads. I typically get about 17mpg when towing. The truck is great for what I use it for. Having said that, I wish I would have waited for a 3500. I had a trip planned out of the area and needed a truck that day or we would have to cancel the trip and this is all they had on the lot. I did have a choice of Black or White though. LOL

Old 04-01-2021, 10:00 AM
Registered

Sorry... I guess my computer wanted to make sure everyone can see what I wrote. Even my old eyes can read that! LOL
Old 04-04-2021, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 264 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay View Post

I have a 2019 Crew cab, short bed and the 5.3 with DYNAMIC FUEL MANAGEMENT if that helps? Just last week on a trip to the beach I was able to get just over 27mpg without the trailer!!! Normally I get about 24-25mpg without trailer. My old setup would be lucky to get 18mpg not towing. Those are all highway figures. Combined I get about 22mpg with the 5.3. As for towing, I only pull a little over 7000lbs (boat, trailer and “stuff”). I am very happy with the power and control when towing. It has no issue climbing or descending long, steep mountains. It also has no “pucker factor” on the one lane tight, twisting and turning back roads. I typically get about 17mpg when towing. The truck is great for what I use it for. Having said that, I wish I would have waited for a 3500. I had a trip planned out of the area and needed a truck that day or we would have to cancel the trip and this is all they had on the lot. I did have a choice of Black or White though. LOL

EPA didn't have the same results as your truck:
https://www.motor1.com/news/295557/2...%20predecessor.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:21 AM
Registered

Jupiter
I agree my numbers seem high. I did check them twice when I got 27. Window sticker on my truck states 16 city / 22 highway and 18 combined. my normal 24to25 was not far out of spec. The 27mpg!!! Yes, not sure how that happened, but it did. Will I ever see that again most likely not. But I am still happy getting 2-3 better than sticker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.