Notices

New 2022 GM HD truck order date

Old 03-24-2021, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New 2022 GM HD truck order date

/Anyone have any information on the release on 2022 GM 2500/3500 trucks? I have heard updates include interior like the yukons, etc... I was thinking of waiting to buy until these are available.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 250 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc View Post
/Anyone have any information on the release on 2022 GM 2500/3500 trucks? I have heard updates include interior like the yukons, etc... I was thinking of waiting to buy until these are available.
Weren't they just brought out as new models for 2020? Interiors were already pretty much Yukons.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:10 PM
Registered

2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD Redesign Details - New Best Trucks [2021-2022]
This is one of the articles I found. It does look like they are doing some significant upgrades.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 AM
Registered

Just to follow up. Donlen says first orders scheduled for 5/6 and production to begin 7/12. I don't know how accurate this is, dealers say they don't know probably because they want to sell me a 2021
Old 03-25-2021, 05:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 175 Likes on 86 Posts

That dash sure looks a lot like my 19 Denali
Old 03-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc View Post
Just to follow up. Donlen says first orders scheduled for 5/6 and production to begin 7/12. I don't know how accurate this is, dealers say they don't know probably because they want to sell me a 2021
Dealers say they don't know, because right now we don't know.

The global chip shortage has production of nearly everything requiring a computer chip messed up; not just the auto industry, it's a problem for everything from Trucks to cell phones.

We were just informed of more plant downtime and lost a portion of the what was supposed to be scheduled during the 3/25 production cycle with no replacement date yet. Not "delayed" .... lost...we were supposed to have 9 Colorados scheduled this week and gm cancelled them.

We have vehicles produced, but sitting delayed waiting for chips, and have no idea when we'll see them.

We're Chevy, not GMC, but I know we have HD's right now with targeted production weeks in August.

If I was betting beers in a bar, my guess would be 22's won't begin production until September, which means we'll probably begin ordering them in July.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the information!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I heard the current crop of trucks are deleting the VVT and AFM on the half ton engines due to the chip shortage. Thatís one good thing to come out of this. ;p
Old 03-29-2021, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
I heard the current crop of trucks are deleting the VVT and AFM on the half ton engines due to the chip shortage. Thatís one good thing to come out of this. ;p
LOL

While I'm not willing to debate that thought, I do have to admit the technology behind Advanced Fuel Management and Dynamic Fuel Management is pretty impressive.

I'm a dealer brat; it seems like I started sweeping in my dad's store about the time I could keep both ends of a broom off the ground at the same time & started washing cars about 14 and really started paying attention to the car biz in the mid-late 80's. I remember "high output heaters" as an option, flipping the air cleaner over "for better mileage" (dad at least pretended to believe me) and Ford releasing their AOD trans (1980? )

The cliche "They don't build them like they used to" is true, but it's a damned good thing they don't. Ridiculous, reliable HP, multi gear trannys, engine management controlling when compression ignition occurs, magnetic suspension, computerized climate control, sophisticated crash management, abs, traction control, etc etc ...regardless of your flavor preference, it's a great time in the auto industry. Sometimes I think we all should find an old pickup with a C6 trans & crank windows and take it for a test drive; it won't take long for the nostalgia of wear off lol. 65 mph, on a crowned back road, in an original (small) Bronco with a 302 / C6, was really frickin' fast. Headlights ? Where do you think George Lucas got came up with the phrase "Use the force, Luke" ? I know where...he drove an an old car down the backroads at night.

Unfortunately, when you remove a "widget" from the supply chain that all that gee-whiz tech is dependent on....Houston, we have a problem.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
Dealers say they don't know, because right now we don't know.

The global chip shortage has production of nearly everything requiring a computer chip messed up; not just the auto industry, it's a problem for everything from Trucks to cell phones.

We were just informed of more plant downtime and lost a portion of the what was supposed to be scheduled during the 3/25 production cycle with no replacement date yet. Not "delayed" .... lost...we were supposed to have 9 Colorados scheduled this week and gm cancelled them.

We have vehicles produced, but sitting delayed waiting for chips, and have no idea when we'll see them.

We're Chevy, not GMC, but I know we have HD's right now with targeted production weeks in August.

If I was betting beers in a bar, my guess would be 22's won't begin production until September, which means we'll probably begin ordering them in July.

I need to amend this & add some info / perspective.

1st - I was incorrect. We do have Crew body trucks with targeted production of August, but they're light duty, NOT HD. (Sorry - I hate it when that happens)

2nd - Scheduled "Build Out" of the 21 HD crew is early July.

Without getting into stoopid detail, GM blesses dealers with allocation (if any is earned) twice a month (unless it's only once in some months) and break the monthly allocation down into weekly production cycles. For instance, in early March GM gave us 11 pieces of Colorado allocation to be distributed the weeks of 3/18 (2) and 3/25 (9). On 3/24 they informed us due to the chip shortage, the 3/25 cycle was cancelled. It cost us 9 Colo's because we were unlucky enough to have our production slot in the 2nd week of the 1st March allocation cycle.

The weekly cycle is where an order submitted earlier by a dealer is "blessed" and placed into the production schedule.

The final allocation cycle for the 21 HD Crew is late April, and the last weekly production cycle is early May.

Dealers are supposed to be able to submit orders for the 22 HDs in early to mid may.

GM begins offering production numbers to dealers in mid/late May. IE they're going to tell the dealers "you've earned this amount of allocation to "place" orders you've submitted into the future production cycle.

The first "cycle" IE "We're blessing this order with a targeted production week of _xxx___" is scheduled to happen end of May (for targeted July production)

22 HD production " official start up date" is 7/12

If they're scheduled to start building them mid July, they "should" be on dealer lots by late July / early August after allowing for shipping times and any shortages.

So...

All the dates I've listed, while published, are subject to change, especially in light of the chip shortage & state gov's shutting things down to "flatten the curve" again.

RE. Allocation & Ordering:

Ordering is easy, but doesn't constitute a guarantee to build. An order by a dealer with no allocation is worthless and won't get "blessed" until the dealer has allocation.

Even though a dealer earns allocation for the "piece" - say a Crew HD - the dealer also needs to have earned - through a formula based on sales history vs days supply - individual commodities, like equipment packages, or options.
For instance, last cycle we had allocation for Blazers, but due to shortages GM only had "stuff" to schedule 77 Redline packages, 153 RS packages, and 0 3LT or Midnight Pkgs NATIONALLY . In other words, If you were trying to order a Blazer , it's not enough to have allocation for the piece, you have to also have allocation for the specific package desired. If the stars don't line up, the dealer either takes what GM will build, or passes the allocation entirely. Other than language and terminology, Ford does things pretty much the same way.

I'm familiar with both the Ford and GM allocation process, & have no idea how the others do it, but there are only so many ways to split a pie, which is really what's happening.

If everything is perfect, no parts issues, labor issue, or shipping issues, it boils down to basic math.
The manufacturer can build "X" total over a given time period.
They take the total production and spread it nationally to different areas of the country (areas of the country with greater demand earn a bigger piece of the pie)
The dealers in each area earn their "piece" of the bigger "piece".

What this all means, In my opinion & your mileage may vary is this...

If you're thinking of ordering a new HD regardless of brand, you need to be thinking about it soon because I think everyone is in a similar situation & make sure you do some research re "your" dealer having allocation. A dealer should be able to tell you each month how much allocation they've earned and - equally important - how many orders they have and where you'll be on the list.
Don't assume just because they're a "big" dealer, they earn HD allocation, as that isn't necessarily the case. The system isn't perfect, but it is a "turn and earn" type system and for the most part it works....dealers who sell more HDs earn more HDs. Dealers who sell more HDs are liable to have a bigger list of customers, true, but sales history also generates better odds of also earning the controlled commodities or "constraints" ...like wheels, or equipment packages, or diesel engines.

Clear as Mud?

Hope this helps...sorry to sorta hijack the thread.

Think Spring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.