Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   08 F450 Lariat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/373307-08-f450-lariat.html)

controlman 09-12-2021 02:42 PM

08 F450 Lariat

Would a man be a complete idiot to buy a 2008 f450 lariat with 300,000 miles for 15,000? I have not contacted owners so no info really. Truck looks good in pictures. I’m assuming 6.4 powerstroke, claims oil change every 5000 miles. I will be using it to tow 15,000 lb boat + trailer short distance and usual around town stuff. Just looking for opinions before I contact seller. TIA

Unlimited jd 09-12-2021 02:48 PM

Yes

bajaman 09-12-2021 03:05 PM

I would say that price is at least $5K too high, and frankly unless the turbocharger had a recent rebuild, I'd walk away...no, RUN away from that deal.

marks86 09-12-2021 04:09 PM

Do not buy it, your welcome

Stuckonstupid 09-12-2021 05:06 PM

The 6.4 makes the 6.0 look like a reliable motor.

controlman 09-13-2021 08:31 AM

Thank you all for the responses. I guess its true, if you have to ask the question you probably know the answer! Really a shame though, its a beautiful truck!
I am in need of a truck to tow my boat and dont know squat about diesel. Are there years and models to stay away from, and what is to much mileage for a diesel. I know that is a loaded question with so many variables of how it was maintained etc., but a general idea would be really welcome. Again TIA.

F-2 Speedy 09-13-2021 08:51 AM

if you really want the truck buy it, just be prepared to spend some money.........or look for a high mile 6.7 XL or XLT

fossil fuel 09-13-2021 09:11 AM

What Kills the 6.4 is the regen of the DPF. The injectors push raw fuel into the back two cylinders to ignite the burn off of the DPF. This leads to massive coking of everything in between. Turbo, EGR system, pipes, tubes ect ect. The last engine I went through on my 08 had the rings on the back two cylinders completely encased in coke (hard soot). I think if your in a state that would allow a dpf delete and remove ALL the crap you may have a great engine. The last factory reman I bought was $13K with a two year warranty.

Tractionless 09-20-2021 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by fossil fuel (Post 4805366)
What Kills the 6.4 is the regen of the DPF. The injectors push raw fuel into the back two cylinders to ignite the burn off of the DPF. This leads to massive coking of everything in between. Turbo, EGR system, pipes, tubes ect ect. The last engine I went through on my 08 had the rings on the back two cylinders completely encased in coke (hard soot). I think if your in a state that would allow a dpf delete and remove ALL the crap you may have a great engine. The last factory reman I bought was $13K with a two year warranty.

They also crack radiators, will need oil coolers as they get plugged with the block sand casting remains and its internal so pull the cab and split the cases. Water pumps cause engine block cavitation. Bought my '08 F350 Lariat 4x4 6.4l extra cab in 2015 with 105k on it for that same $15k when the like was $25k+. That was one of the only reasons and a ford mechanic acquaintance of mine saying they're better than the 6.0, well probably then, not now. I've since deleted DPF, cat and EGR coolers, added coolant filter and run the lowest +40 hp tune for the deletes and transmission logic. So far so good but I've only put 12k miles on it since taking ownership, although oil temps are creeping up to max advised of 230* so will either need that oil cooler or auxiliary air/oil cooler for $1500 in parts.

Check out the 6.4l portion of ford-trucks.com

fossil fuel 10-27-2021 07:13 PM

FYI to compete with mishimoto replacement radiators. (I had a mishimoto fail) Ford extended their warranty on Plastic end tank blowoff issues....I think lifetime on replacement ford parts radiators....