Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How long will a new diesel last? >

How long will a new diesel last?

Notices

How long will a new diesel last?

Old 12-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

The problem with new vehicles is all the electronics and so much of the engineering is done over seas. I have a 2003 Suburban with 360k on it and the only thing I've really had to deal with is the transmission. I just finished redoing the entire brake system with the best of everything for a $1000 and everything still works. I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and this thing is killing me and most of it is due to bad engineering. I have to replace complete wiring harnesses, torque converter, AC condenser, GPS antenna, Magnetic ride struts, tail lights, transfer case shift motor, And I have a list this long on stuff I have yet to fix. I just don't trust the engineering in new vehicles. Just read up on the Ford SUV issues, that stuff scares the hell out me. The programming errors in my Yukon were obvious any one with real experience would have caught them. My next vehicle will be an early 2000 something that I do a restomod on. I can build twice the vehicle for half the money. Hell, by the time I'm done with the Yukon there won't be much left original.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
that RAM is sweet! If Tesla didn't exist, that's what I'd have.
The Ram Rebel in slate grey or whatever color they call it.

Hoping to get my CyberTruck in 2022. My buddy has a new corvette on order and we plan to race both 0-60 (both have similar times). should be good for some $hits and giggles.
Before they removed the specs from the website, it said it tows 14k. No idea what the new quad motor one will tow, guessing the same. So I no longer have to rent a 2500 pickup 2x a year.

Ford has closed pre-orders for the F-150 Lightning after getting 200,000 orders...
My BIL and Sister have a deposit on a Rivian, that they should get in mid-2022. It's rated to tow 11K lbs. From everything I've watched and read on the Rivian, it's the real deal.
How long will a new diesel last?-rivian-r1t-towing-678x381.png

Edit, just published:

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SabrToothSqrl (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah, the Rivian is bad ass. Bought RIVN stock a few weeks ago. It's on my list of possibilities, I plan to drive all the new EV Pickups, but the CyberTruck would be the 6th Tesla between me and the wife. Might as well just sign over all my paychecks to them anyway lol.

Love the offroad videos of it. Very exciting time. Seems like a great company. Shame they didn't make the deal with Lincoln happen. Seemed very win/win to me. Let Ford build the car, and Rivian do the drivetrain. win/win. But what do I know.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Yeah, the Rivian is bad ass. Bought RIVN stock a few weeks ago. It's on my list of possibilities, I plan to drive all the new EV Pickups, but the CyberTruck would be the 6th Tesla between me and the wife. Might as well just sign over all my paychecks to them anyway lol.

Love the offroad videos of it. Very exciting time. Seems like a great company. Shame they didn't make the deal with Lincoln happen. Seemed very win/win to me. Let Ford build the car, and Rivian do the drivetrain. win/win. But what do I know.
I was thinking the Cybertruck but wanted to know real world range pulling 10 to 11K.

Are the charging stations set up that you would not have to disconnect the trailer to charge?
Old 12-09-2021, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Charging with a trailer will be a challenge. I don't know how they plan to tackle that yet. My use case has me hauling the boat about 70 miles, then empty trailer another 70 home. (Flipped in fall) So I shouldn't need to charge, for my twice a year boat move. I'm hoping there will be chargers specific to trailers in the future.

Gonna be badass looking, a stainless Steel bulletproof truck hauling my 292!
can't wait to get drone pics of it rollin' down the road. With all the stainless on the boat, can't wait to have a truck made out of it. No rust, no dents, no paint chips, bulletproof so I can drive through Baltimore safely.

https://supercharge.info/map