Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   How long will a new diesel last? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/374064-how-long-will-new-diesel-last.html)

carnutsx2 11-25-2021 09:24 AM

How long will a new diesel last?

I've got a 2002 duramax that I bought new, it has 135,000 miles and needs a seat cover, tires and a windshield. The truck has served me well hauling boats, snowmobiles and whatever else fits it the bed or has a trailer hitch.
The question is if I buy a new truck do you think it last 20 years? The emission systems give me pause for the long term life expectancy and trouble free service. I'm thinking I may just address all the small issues and keep driving what I have.

Jupiter Sunsation 11-25-2021 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by carnutsx2 (Post 4813349)
I've got a 2002 duramax that I bought new, it has 135,000 miles and needs a seat cover, tires and a windshield. The truck has served me well hauling boats, snowmobiles and whatever else fits it the bed or has a trailer hitch.
The question is if I buy a new truck do you think it last 20 years? The emission systems give me pause for the long term life expectancy and trouble free service. I'm thinking I may just address all the small issues and keep driving what I have.

I had a 2003 Duramax crew cab, bone stock and drove it 175K miles buying a pulley (sheared off), a water pump (106K miles) and front wheel bearings (132K miles). Truck was great, I did re-do the seat bottom twice.

The TVM (time value of money) will be your best option: Put 60K away for the next 10 years and suddenly your 2002 looks like a genius move to keep it and drive it while your 60K grows. I personally like the 2019's way way better than the 2020 and newer ones.

bajaman 11-25-2021 05:20 PM

Yes, I do think a 'new' diesel powered truck, any of them from the Big Three, can last 20 years...but you have to realize that you haven't put ANY sort of "miles per year" on your existing truck. I now guys with trucks similar to yours but more Ford drivers who have driven their 3/4 and 1- ton trucks for 300,000...400,000 miles with only relatively minor repairs...other than turbochargers...to deal with. The turbos seem to have a life of 200,000 miles give or take 50,000...but even if you have to shell out $10K for the repair, you aren't adding a lot to the total cost of ownership.

I tend to drive vehicles a LONG time...15 - 20 years, and have found that, as Jupiter Sunsation points out, investing the money typically spent on a new vehicle is the far better move. There is of course the inevitable point of diminishing returns; and eventually you simply have to replace the vehicle.

seafordguy 11-25-2021 08:23 PM

The new diesels are so nice. Just so, so, so nice.

That's all I can add. You will just have to decide for yourself, based on your financial situation, what makes sense. If I'm Jeff Bezos, im buying a new one every year. If I'm a middle class American, I'm probably a little more thoughtful in going out and dropping 85k on a new truck.....

AmiableDave 11-26-2021 07:34 AM

Outside of the known Duramax injector problem, your engine is just broke in. It has a nice Allison trans to go with it. Only you know how you maintained it.

Tire stores here have great sales on now. My F250 SD needs 4 now. Your windshield is about $300 installed. Ebay has seat sets or covers. So for the cost of 2 truck payments, your up and running.
Good luck .....

Goldenfish 11-26-2021 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 4813396)
The new diesels are so nice. Just so, so, so nice.

That's all I can add. You will just have to decide for yourself, based on your financial situation, what makes sense. If I'm Jeff Bezos, im buying a new one every year. If I'm a middle class American, I'm probably a little more thoughtful in going out and dropping 85k on a new truck.....

Seconded!!! The new diesel is so nice!

bajaman 11-26-2021 03:20 PM

I bought a new F-150 in January, really debated on getting a F-250 instead, drove two...one with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel and one with the 7.3 Godzilla gas engine. The 1050 ft/lbs of torque from that 6.7 simply has to be experienced, it is damned impressive, as was the 7.3 (and oh did that Godzilla sound SO good...). But I don't NEED that much truck, my 252 is just under 7,000 pounds with trailer and the 5.0 Coyote in my Lariat pulls it with no problem. But still...there are times when I remember that INSTANT torque of the 6.7...

F-2 Speedy 11-26-2021 03:40 PM

@ 97k on the clock my 05 f250 started eating coolant ( head gasket ) so with these crazy truck prices I decided to spend the money, tear it apart and stud it, and it like a new truck with power it hasn't had in a long time.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...3bf42a86d1.jpg

Sydwayz 11-26-2021 03:45 PM

They almost always last until the warranty expires.

SabrToothSqrl 11-26-2021 03:47 PM

I think the real question would be... do you think diesel will be a thing in 20 years...

I understand for towing, 'gas' might be around longer, but for a passenger vehicle, it's going to be harder and harder to justify a gas sucker each year.

In 20 years, a 'gas' vehicle might be as valuable as a black and white TV.
besides, the less gas we use on the road, the more for the boats ;)