Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Has anyone tested the GM 6.6 Gas Power >

Has anyone tested the GM 6.6 Gas Power

Notices

Has anyone tested the GM 6.6 Gas Power

Old 06-21-2022, 05:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

Service mgr friend said some of the new 6.2s are having lifter issues.

And Don't buy the Black Widow package. Sounds like they just pick a Hot wire wherever they need one and it can cause gremlins down the road.

Guess I will stick w my LBZ for a few more yrs
Old 06-21-2022, 01:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Service mgr friend said some of the new 6.2s are having lifter issues.

And Don't buy the Black Widow package. Sounds like they just pick a Hot wire wherever they need one and it can cause gremlins down the road.

Guess I will stick w my LBZ for a few more yrs

Black Widow Pkg ?

That must be an upfitter or after market thing ? From a vendor GM has authorized to modify the vehicles ?

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 513 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
Black Widow Pkg ?

That must be an upfitter or after market thing ? From a vendor GM has authorized to modify the vehicles ?
Gm authorized?
https://www.blackwidowtrucks.com/
I'm sure hacked up messes.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

exactly
Old 06-22-2022, 04:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Gm authorized?
https://www.blackwidowtrucks.com/
I'm sure hacked up messes.
Thanks for the link...

GM and Ford, probably Ram too, authorize aftermarket upfitters to provide an alternative to what the factory offers..think back to the conversion van craziness of the late 70s through the 80's and 90s.

Way back when, as in pre-Expedition, Excursion era, Centurion would take a Crew Cab Ford, cut some of the frame off and install the rear guts from a Bronco....what could possibly go wrong?

I'm not going into the politics, as a dealer you either loved them or hated them...I hated them, my opinion being the manufacturer was taking allocation from the dealers a who needed it and instead was giving it to the "pool" companies, who would charge the dealers 10-12k for a wheels/tires/lift/paint package we could do for half that...but if the dealers did it, and the vehicle was ever involved in an accident and lawsuit, GM would waste no time in telling the dealer "sorry, no indemnification for you, you modified the vehicle beyond it's intended purpose"...I'm sure no $$ changed hands for the upfitter to obtain authorization for their modifications. Again, in my opinion, they're taking what needs to be custom work and trying to do it in mass quantities. We had a customer of ours who convinced himself he couldn't live another day without a new GMC at a dealer down the street; the truck had a ton of eyeball, and also had a blower performance package. It ran like ****, the dealer who sold it to him couldn't get it to run right so he brought it to us...long story short the motor was way fat so the general public would be less likely to hurt it and have a warranty claim...we dx'd it, but wouldn't touch it and advised him to go back to the dealer he got it from and get the company who installed it to tune it correctly...the minute we touched it he'd be out of warranty. I think he ended up in a lawsuit and the dealer ended up buying the truck back. Anyway, I'm not a fan...

To be fair, I think there probably a few custom shops who are capable of not doing hack jobs ...Roush comes to mind, and there probably are others...we used to have a sign in our pit that said "Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick Two."

RE 6.2 and lifters -

We've seen some issues, but we also have several out there with no issues and the people who haven't had issues ran exclusively premium fuel...I'm unaware if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:31 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

We tow around 11k corss country with a 2021 2500 double cab 6.6 gas. Very happy with it so far.
The following 3 users liked this post by TeamSaris:
Gimme Fuel (06-23-2022), ThisIsLivin (06-29-2022), TylerBurich (06-22-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 04:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

RE 6.2 and lifters -

We've seen some issues, but we also have several out there with no issues and the people who haven't had issues ran exclusively premium fuel...I'm unaware if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.[/QUOTE]

That is what he said - very hit and miss.
I bought a 19 Denali new w 6.2- only run 91 and so far so good. pushing 80K miles so far. Chit for milage tho lol - best is around 15 and i check if almost every fill up.
But I drive the hell out of it.

Now if they would tell me why the damn "Trailer Brake System" warning comes on sporadically- it would be nice. Time for service so hopefully they know what and it has happened to others.

Sorry- kind of deviated from 6.6
Old 07-21-2022, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
RE 6.2 and lifters -

We've seen some issues, but we also have several out there with no issues and the people who haven't had issues ran exclusively premium fuel...I'm unaware if that has anything to do with it, just an observation.
That is what he said - very hit and miss.
I bought a 19 Denali new w 6.2- only run 91 and so far so good. pushing 80K miles so far. Chit for milage tho lol - best is around 15 and i check if almost every fill up.
But I drive the hell out of it.

Now if they would tell me why the damn "Trailer Brake System" warning comes on sporadically- it would be nice. Time for service so hopefully they know what and it has happened to others.

Sorry- kind of deviated from 6.6[/QUOTE]

That's why I asked the original question. I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and 8 speed. It has plenty of power and gets 20+mpg on the highway at 80 not towing. But I have 176k on it and the lifters are shot. I run premium and Amsoil and did a software AFM delete a while back. The AFM is garbage, I was told by a mechanic he hasn't seen anyone go past 120k on these motors. I was looking for a non-AFM motor from the factory, but ordering anything today is a crap shoot. So I'm fixing mine and keeping it, I might as well make a few mods while I'm at it. I think I can get away with making it better than new for $5k.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 203 Posts

ordering anything today is a crap shoot
That is for sure. Months to a year plus across the boards on any make on a new order. Dealer stock, if you can find one that suits your needs, are marked up.....way up!

I'm fixing mine and keeping it, I might as well make a few mods while I'm at it. I think I can get away with making it better than new for $5k.
You could and I considered this in my situation too. But is never makes financial sense...just an emotional move. At the end of the day you still have a 2015 with mega miles on it. Any rust?

Old 07-22-2022, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

You could and I considered this in my situation too. But is never makes financial sense...just an emotional move. At the end of the day you still have a 2015 with mega miles on it. Any rust?[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it, is it's 5 payments to get it better than new. Everything else is like new and I know I can get 500k on the drive train. I have a 2003 Suburban with 360k on it that I won't part with because it's so reliable and hauls a ton. I do a lot of my own repairs so it doesn't cost me much and I can do most major repairs in less time than it takes me to drive to the dealer and back. Just put in new front axles, cost me $150 and 1.25 hours and they have a lifetime warranty. I've been using the same philosophy on the old Suburban and it's worked for me so far. At 360k it runs better than when I bought it, now it might leak a little oil. I buy my vehicles based on their bones, as I know I will be working on it some day. It could be too that I can't leave anything stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.