Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity-40/)
-   -   22FT Regal Velocity vs. 22T Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity/165313-22ft-regal-velocity-vs-22t-velocity.html)

1waterboy1 08-04-2007 11:47 AM

22FT Regal Velocity vs. 22T Velocity

What are the real differences between these two boats...ie lay up, weight,performance etc?The Regal version has a small berth that I actually like,but I know the extra weight sacrifices speed.

Revelocity 08-06-2007 02:22 PM

It depends on the year. I know Steve Stepp actually produced the early Regal 22's in his factory. The flat deck 22' Velocity and Regal are pretty similar. Later Regals have a center dash cut out and recessed cabin floor where the early Velocity has a solid dash and floor locker. The early Velocity 22 had a very light lay-up. From what I've seen, later Regals were more conservative in the lay-up.

Let me know if you'd like to get together to compare first hand.

Rick

BODYSHOT1 08-07-2007 06:58 AM

Mark,

did you find an older 22?

VinMan 08-07-2007 07:17 AM

Ah screw that! it's time for you to move up to a nice 32.

Hint, hint....

1HYPER1 08-07-2007 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by VinMan (Post 2225817)
Ah screw that! it's time for you to move up to a nice 32.

Hint, hint....

Ya Mark and mine is for sale.:party-smiley-048:

northernoffshore 08-09-2007 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My old 1987 regal velocity 22 was the one with the cut out in the dash. The hull and deck were well built BUT the regal part is what I didn't like. The hull was not glassed to the deck and the deck didn't fit correctly on the boat(it needed grinding to flush fit right) All the holes regal drilled had latex caulk and were seeping. The back seat was never sealed and neither was the bottom of the floor(raw wood.) No reinforcement to the transom for the o/b and th deck was spider cracking every where there was a cleat or screw. The boat was built as cheap as they could of. It took a lot of hours to correct the problems, then it was a decent boat. Would look for a steve step boat next time. Just my opinion.

lowfunds 10-16-2007 06:40 AM

could someone tell me when steve stepp stopped making the velocity 22 before the regal corp took over. i see some are saying he built some of them for regal. what is the cutoff date and which are the good ones to look out for.

RaggedEdge 10-16-2007 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1 (Post 2226275)
Ya Mark and mine is for sale.:party-smiley-048:

And the asking price would be??? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Revelocity 10-16-2007 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by lowfunds (Post 2307082)
could someone tell me when steve stepp stopped making the velocity 22 before the regal corp took over. i see some are saying he built some of them for regal. what is the cutoff date and which are the good ones to look out for.

The first thing to look at if the hull ID starts with a V or a R. The V should be there through the 1985 model year. Steve did produce some 22's for Regal. You actually would need a serial number cut-off opposed to a date cut-off and then who knows if there may have been mixed production during the transition. I would bet the solid dash boats would be Velocity built. Bear in mind however - that either boat will be ~20 years old now and storage, usage and maintenance will have had a much bigger affect on the boat's present condition! That being said, I wouldn't count on a 22 year Velocity built boat being in better shape then a 20 year old Regal built boat!

tripple digits 10-31-2008 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lowfunds (Post 2307082)

Early 1987