Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity-40/)
-   -   Need Help 7.4l MPI (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity/178837-need-help-7-4l-mpi.html)

qaberdeen 02-01-2008 02:29 PM

Need Help 7.4l MPI

I thougtht when i was going to redo my motor i was going with some big power , but it looks like that not going to happen this year.

i currently running a Velocity 01 260 with a 7.4l MPI Gen VI for power. apparently i need to replace the complete longblock so i'm looking for suggestions. with purchasing a house a week before Christmas, i'm trying to keep the cost as minimal as possible if their is such a word.lol this way i can keep the wife happy and still go boating.hehe because i really don't want to spend this summer on dry docks if u know what i mean, and next year i will go for something with aliitle more hp.

i've been looking at a few distributors that has these replacement long blocks and was hoping if u could share your experiences with me because they do have some decent prices, 1800runsnew, Dougrussell marine, Derebery Performance marine. but if anyone has any other suggestions i will gladly listen.

thanks

ThruHull 02-01-2008 04:15 PM

I would look for one used, alot of people just pull and replace this engine in their pursuit to more HP instead of upgrading it.

qaberdeen 02-01-2008 04:48 PM

ThruHull, thanks for the reply, i was not really looking to upgrade it, just trying to replace it, what happen was i think i might have had a leaky exhaust and water got into the cylinders not positive though and the motor is apparantly seized, and i can't see how that happened because i've been very miticulous with the upkeep of the boat, but i 'm going to hopefully open it up tomorrow and see whats the deal, i'm really just looking for a replacement long block to get me through the summer..

thanks

ThruHull 02-01-2008 04:55 PM

Sorry, I should have worded my post better. I was trying to say that there should be plenty of used take outs that would be a cheaper route than going with a brand new long block. In fact I have one that I took out of my boat with 62 hours and I am selling the complete engine for less than you can get a longblock. I had originally kept it as a spare, but have decided to sell it now because I know it is not good for an engine just to sit over a long period of time. I have a guy interested in it but no cash in hand yet.

qaberdeen 02-01-2008 08:08 PM

ThruHull, no problem at all

u can pm me @

[email protected] with the details

R Addiction 02-05-2008 09:36 PM

I have a 509 bottom end for sale. 40 hours.....:cool-smiley-011:

Pat McPherson 02-08-2008 06:37 AM

I did lots of work to a 1999 7.4MPI I had in my Superboat a few years back.
If you decide to rebuild what you have, I can share my experiences.
I also have the short block still, but I sold the heads.