Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity-40/)
-   -   Upgrading stereo (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity/226572-upgrading-stereo.html)

cfo20 03-18-2010 07:54 AM

Upgrading stereo

I want to upgrade the stereo in my 260. Right now, it only has a pair of 4" crappy speakers in the cabin and a pair of 6.5" Pioneers in the cockpit mounted to the rear seat bench. I want to add another pair of 6.5" somewhere in the cockpit and then a sub or two and amplify everything, execept for the 4" in the cabin; I really don't care about the sound in the cabin.

What is the best location for some subs and additional speakers on a 260? Mine is a 1999 model. Thanks!

low_psi 03-18-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cfo20 (Post 3069683)
I want to upgrade the stereo in my 260. Right now, it only has a pair of 4" crappy speakers in the cabin and a pair of 6.5" Pioneers in the cockpit mounted to the rear seat bench. I want to add another pair of 6.5" somewhere in the cockpit and then a sub or two and amplify everything, execept for the 4" in the cabin; I really don't care about the sound in the cabin.

What is the best location for some subs and additional speakers on a 260? Mine is a 1999 model. Thanks!

I am going to be upgrading my 260 within the next few weeks. I am going to replace the 2 6-1/2" that are located in the rear bench. I am going to mount another set right in front of the rear arm rests. I plan to install a 3rd set somewhere up by the driver and passanger seats, but have not come to a conclusion yet. I will be building a custom sub enclosure that will fit up in the bow and behind the port-a-potty and below the bed. This enclosure will house a Kicker L7 12" sub. By mounting the sub in the cabin you get to keep all of the storage area under the rear bench, and will provide much more base than a pair of subs mounted in the cockpit (under the rear bench). I had the same L7 sub in my Baja and it outperformed my buddies 3 10" kicker subs mounted in his cockpit area. Alot of it depends on making the proper enclosure for the sub. I plan to use Kicker marine coaxials or their components (haven't decided yet)for the 6-1/2" locations. I will post pics of my progress once I begin.

JohnSchiavarelli 03-19-2010 09:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have added 4 JL 6.5's next to the grab rails in the rear.. Great sound.. wish I could have done 7.7 but no room.. they are powered by a jl 600/4.. I also added 2 7.7 jl's up front powered by a 300/2 jl amt. tweets up high and the woofers down low. I have 4 10 inch free air subs under the rear seat powered by a jl 750/1.. and also added 4 jl 6.5's on the back deck. Powered by its own 600/4 jl amp.(see attached photos).. The photos show some of the work completed and some in progress. Have not had a chance to take new pics but the system is complete..

stoltz 03-20-2010 12:58 AM

I'm redoing my system right now I'll put some pics on here in a couple days. I did four sets of Rockford fosgate 8" coax two 15" subs and two amps.

low_psi 03-20-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli (Post 3070800)
I have added 4 JL 6.5's next to the grab rails in the rear.. Great sound.. wish I could have done 7.7 but no room.. they are powered by a jl 600/4.. I also added 2 7.7 jl's up front powered by a 300/2 jl amt. tweets up high and the woofers down low. I have 4 10 inch free air subs under the rear seat powered by a jl 750/1.. and also added 4 jl 6.5's on the back deck. Powered by its own 600/4 jl amp.(see attached photos).. The photos show some of the work completed and some in progress. Have not had a chance to take new pics but the system is complete..

Where did you mount the speakers up front? Do you mean in the cabin or in the cockpit. I am scratching my head trying to figure out where I want to put the speakers up by driver and passanger.

I had thought about putting speakers in the transom as well, however I doubt I will be keeping this boat long. So I am guessing having 4 - 6.5 speakers across the back of my boat may decrease the resale value...

JohnSchiavarelli 03-20-2010 08:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did not mount any inside the cabin.. I put 2 7.7 jl's up front (see attached photo). to be honest the woofers are a bit "drown" out by the 4 10's and the 4 6.5's up high.. but the tweets sound great..

I see the point about resale.. I have had this boat since new in 01.. 100% paid for a while back.. and I cannot see getting anything newer or bigger for the next several years.. The entire boat had been re-worked. (see photos).. If someone does not like it because of the speakers.. well.. what can I say, right? haha

Also.. here is my amp "rack".. I mounted it inside the cabin, behind the drivers wall.. did it back in '04.. want to re-do sometime this winter..I did not have the 2nd 600/4 installed as of the photo..

JohnSchiavarelli 03-20-2010 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

JohnSchiavarelli 03-20-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by low_psi (Post 3069754)
I am going to be upgrading my 260 within the next few weeks. I am going to replace the 2 6-1/2" that are located in the rear bench. I am going to mount another set right in front of the rear arm rests. I plan to install a 3rd set somewhere up by the driver and passanger seats, but have not come to a conclusion yet. I will be building a custom sub enclosure that will fit up in the bow and behind the port-a-potty and below the bed. This enclosure will house a Kicker L7 12" sub. By mounting the sub in the cabin you get to keep all of the storage area under the rear bench, and will provide much more base than a pair of subs mounted in the cockpit (under the rear bench). I had the same L7 sub in my Baja and it outperformed my buddies 3 10" kicker subs mounted in his cockpit area. Alot of it depends on making the proper enclosure for the sub. I plan to use Kicker marine coaxials or their components (haven't decided yet)for the 6-1/2" locations. I will post pics of my progress once I begin.

I thought about that route (the sub up front also). Here was my logic.. I use the space in front for tools and other storage.. I did not loose much under the rear seat with free-air JL subs. I can still fit my anchor and 4 fenders there. The bass is not as "tight" as a 12 (or 2) with a box.. BUT. I did have that once before under the rear seat. When tied up 2 boats away, you kinda loose the tight bass anyway.and you can set the freq. higher on the free-airs also.. I believe it sounds better over all. besides. How much bass do you need on the water? you only have X amount of battery right? 1500 watts for mids and highs take alot of current.. I turn the bass down to conserve bat power anyway.. (just my 2 cents)

low_psi 03-20-2010 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by JohnSchiavarelli (Post 3071360)
I thought about that route (the sub up front also). Here was my logic.. I use the space in front for tools and other storage.. I did not loose much under the rear seat with free-air JL subs. I can still fit my anchor and 4 fenders there. The bass is not as "tight" as a 12 (or 2) with a box.. BUT. I did have that once before under the rear seat. When tied up 2 boats away, you kinda loose the tight bass anyway.and you can set the freq. higher on the free-airs also.. I believe it sounds better over all. besides. How much bass do you need on the water? you only have X amount of battery right? 1500 watts for mids and highs take alot of current.. I turn the bass down to conserve bat power anyway.. (just my 2 cents)

Battery is not a problem. I run an 1800 watt Kenwood Class D on my 1 Kicker L7 12" for bass. I can run all day on one Deka Class 31 batteriy. I am installing a second one this year so if I'm out for an overnight trip I will have enough juice for 2 days.... I have an Optima for starting.

We back our boat up to a beach and sit at least 25 feet away from the boat. With my Pioneer Premier 6x9s (in boxes up on the sun deck) the sound is great. Perfect bass response.

low_psi 03-22-2010 06:51 PM

Got the amp rack started for my 260. I made it out of 3/4 MDF and 3/4 Pine. It will get a complete coating of Fiberglass resin (and some fiberglass mat to reinforce the joints). I will be covering it in white vinyl to match the interior.

The first pic is with the flush trim face off. The second is with the face on.

http://site.activesportsunglasses.co...y/amprack1.jpg
http://site.activesportsunglasses.co...y/amprack2.jpg