Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity-40/)
-   -   Some VR1 Whipple Stage 2 numbers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity/326298-some-vr1-whipple-stage-2-numbers.html)

Ryan00TJ 05-16-2015 10:35 AM

Some VR1 Whipple Stage 2 numbers

Stock with Kenny @ Velocity on the test run it went 73 GPS on Lake Monroe.
Stock last year best run here, I saw 70.8GPS @ 5000 according to the stock tach. These were with the Velocity supplied Bravo 4 blade 28P.

Finally had the time and nice water/weather to try out the new mods. Added a stage 2 Whipple ECM tune w 120 tstat and trying out a Bblades labbed 30p Bravo 4 blade. 496HO stock w turbulators removed and extensions on stock risers mixing water at tips. Bravo X 1.50. Rpms verified with my Merc Scan Tool.

High 70's, calm water, 1100 altitude, boat had full fuel 93 oct, me, normal lake load.

I bought the Bblades 30p off Ebay, it is mint and after talking with Bblades, it was custom labbed for a 26 DCB with a lot of rake and added cup, removed hub diffuser.

Boat ran 75 GPS @ 4875 rpms. Awesome bite and holds great. No problem planing. Picked up 6-7 mph at midrange cruising range. Can definitely tell a lot more midrange with the Whipple tune. WOT feels much better as well.

Pulled the boat and threw on the original Bravo 28p. Boat ran 70.2 @ 5050 rpms. A complete different feel vs the 30p, adding rpm did not gain speed, just slip it seems. Lost the midrange cruise speed also.

Going to talk with Bblades Mon and see what possibilities are out there for improvement. Really was pleased with the 30 yesterday.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...image.jpg1.jpg

Padraig 05-16-2015 11:10 AM

Sounds like you are having fun. What is the Whipple stage II tune. What does it do for the 496?

Padraig

Ryan00TJ 05-16-2015 11:19 AM

Lots of fun. Just need more time to do it. Here's the Whipple info....

STAGE 2
The Whipple stage 2 maximizes the power output of the stock engine by running 91 octane or better, increasing the maximum spark advance, increased ignition power from the individual coils, denser air charge from the low temp thermostat and maximized air-fuel ratio in each individual cylinder. Calibration increases torque levels throughout the entire rpm curve while making more peak hp for increased speeds. Customers report far cleaner transoms (less soot) while increased throttle response.
Key features:
• Hi-performance PCM calibration
• Low-temp thermostat
• 5450 RPM limit
• 5% - 8% power increase over stock
• Increased acceleration with increased torque output

Padraig 05-16-2015 11:39 AM

Sounds good. I had Precision Marine tweak my ECM on my last 280.

Right hand or left hand prop? You might try a hydromotive if you can get hold of one. One RPM should you be pulling with that motor?

Hope to get mine in next week.

Padraig

Ryan00TJ 05-16-2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 4305120)
Sounds good. I had Precision Marine tweak my ECM on my last 280.

Right hand or left hand prop? You might try a hydromotive if you can get hold of one. One RPM should you be pulling with that motor?

Hope to get mine in next week.

Padraig

Whipple is really the only game in town for the 496 ECM 555. Both props were RH. I've always ran Hydro QIV before on my previous boat. WhenI talked with Todd last year he wanted me to try a 26 or 27 QIV and tweak from there. Might take him up on it just to try with this hull. Stock cam 496's make peak power around 5000-5100rpms and hold to 5200. No need spinning above that, nothing to be gained.

Monitoring while running yesterday saw max timing advance from 32-34* while the stock tune was 24*.

modvp 05-17-2015 07:22 PM

You've got a beautiful VR-1. I was thinking of trying the Whipple ECM tune but I was unsure of the results. Thank you for posting your experience, you have definitely convinced me that this is the way to go. I have a Velocity 290 sc with a velocity reworked 28 bravo and the maximum attained speed is 70.3 mph. I plan to remove the turbulators and try a stock 28 bravo. I will report back in June.

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ (Post 4305098)
Stock with Kenny @ Velocity on the test run it went 73 GPS on Lake Monroe.
Stock last year best run here, I saw 70.8GPS @ 5000 according to the stock tach. These were with the Velocity supplied Bravo 4 blade 28P.

Finally had the time and nice water/weather to try out the new mods. Added a stage 2 Whipple ECM tune w 120 tstat and trying out a Bblades labbed 30p Bravo 4 blade. 496HO stock w turbulators removed and extensions on stock risers mixing water at tips. Bravo X 1.50. Rpms verified with my Merc Scan Tool.

High 70's, calm water, 1100 altitude, boat had full fuel 93 oct, me, normal lake load.

I bought the Bblades 30p off Ebay, it is mint and after talking with Bblades, it was custom labbed for a 26 DCB with a lot of rake and added cup, removed hub diffuser.

Boat ran 75 GPS @ 4875 rpms. Awesome bite and holds great. No problem planing. Picked up 6-7 mph at midrange cruising range. Can definitely tell a lot more midrange with the Whipple tune. WOT feels much better as well.

Pulled the boat and threw on the original Bravo 28p. Boat ran 70.2 @ 5050 rpms. A complete different feel vs the 30p, adding rpm did not gain speed, just slip it seems. Lost the midrange cruise speed also.

Going to talk with Bblades Mon and see what possibilities are out there for improvement. Really was pleased with the 30 yesterday.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...image.jpg1.jpg

Ryan00TJ 05-18-2015 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by modvp (Post 4305530)
You've got a beautiful VR-1. I was thinking of trying the Whipple ECM tune but I was unsure of the results. Thank you for posting your experience, you have definitely convinced me that this is the way to go. I have a Velocity 290 sc with a velocity reworked 28 bravo and the maximum attained speed is 70.3 mph. I plan to remove the turbulators and try a stock 28 bravo. I will report back in June.

Thanks. Fell in love with the paint and lines on the VR. I hope to burn a few tanks with the Whipple tune this weekend and some more testing. I'm interested to see how it runs with light fuel and the cooler weather with some chop. High 70's? Your speed seems right in line with your setup. If you search for FTM 496 dyno results of removing the exhaust turbulators you will see 8-10 hp at WOT gain. Yet, most overlook the 25-30 ft lb torque gains thru the midrange. Keep us updated on the results....

Ryan00TJ 07-24-2015 08:40 AM

Some updated numbers with my Bblades labbed 28p Bravo 1 prop, custom labbed for the VR and we kept the hub diffuser on this one to help with blowout planing.

Low 80s, 1100', calm water, 3/4 tank, me, normal lake load.

Boat ran 74 GPS @ 5100 rpms repeatedly. It took awhile to figure how to trim at WOT with this prop. It's faster with less trim than before. So, Bblades got me 4 mph with this prop vs before. I really didn't get a chance to compare cruise speeds vs before. I do know that my labbed 30p Bravo is faster at cruise speeds. The 28p has better acceleration and gets to top speed quicker versus the 30p. Very happy with both Bblades props and seems I have maximized this setup without going internal.

modvp 07-29-2015 06:00 PM

I am thinking about sending my stock 28 bravo 1 to have it labbed to your specks. My Velocity supplied prop nets me 70 mph at 5000rpm.

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ (Post 4333596)
Some updated numbers with my Bblades labbed 28p Bravo 1 prop, custom labbed for the VR and we kept the hub diffuser on this one to help with blowout planing.

Low 80s, 1100', calm water, 3/4 tank, me, normal lake load.

Boat ran 74 GPS @ 5100 rpms repeatedly. It took awhile to figure how to trim at WOT with this prop. It's faster with less trim than before. So, Bblades got me 4 mph with this prop vs before. I really didn't get a chance to compare cruise speeds vs before. I do know that my labbed 30p Bravo is faster at cruise speeds. The 28p has better acceleration and gets to top speed quicker versus the 30p. Very happy with both Bblades props and seems I have maximized this setup without going internal.

Ryan00TJ 07-30-2015 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by modvp (Post 4335994)
I am thinking about sending my stock 28 bravo 1 to have it labbed to your specks. My Velocity supplied prop nets me 70 mph at 5000rpm.

Have Brett reference BB6452. That is my 28 lab recipe.