Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
New Member-New Boat/2003 Velocity 260 >

New Member-New Boat/2003 Velocity 260

Notices

New Member-New Boat/2003 Velocity 260

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

What octane fuel are you running in your motor? The higher the octane the more soot. You'll notice a big reduction running the lower octane levels. For a stock" black" motor 87 will work fine.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelocity
What octane fuel are you running in your motor? The higher the octane the more soot. You'll notice a big reduction running the lower octane levels. For a stock" black" motor 87 will work fine.
87 octane w/Lucas F/I cleaner & Stay-Bil fuel mix
Old 10-25-2015, 05:22 AM
Registered

Anybody do a swivel pin/gimble housing repair yet ? I think I'm facing that problem and would appreciate some feedback from those experienced in this area.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

I just did the JR Marine swivel pin repair on my boat this spring. Highly recommend!
Old 10-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Registered

I bought a 2001 260 496 Mag four years ago with 32 original hours. Motor runs like new but it sooted a lot. Mercury had a bulletin out about that. Had mercury flash the ECM and no more black transom. Give mercury a call and give them your engine info. Took the ECM to a dealer that handled the sale of the boat for the owner and cost me nothing just the shipping. I put full hydraulic steering and k-planes on boat what a better handling boat. It's my second 260 and both got steering and k-planes. The Hardin Marine sea pumps work great.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I just did the JR Marine swivel pin repair on my boat this spring. Highly recommend!
I'm kinda leaning towards that myself right now as I have the ability and tools to do what JR Marine does right here in my shop.

Originally Posted by VELOCITYBOY
I bought a 2001 260 496 Mag four years ago with 32 original hours. Motor runs like new but it sooted a lot. Mercury had a bulletin out about that. Had mercury flash the ECM and no more black transom. Give mercury a call and give them your engine info. Took the ECM to a dealer that handled the sale of the boat for the owner and cost me nothing just the shipping. I put full hydraulic steering and k-planes on boat what a better handling boat. It's my second 260 and both got steering and k-planes. The Hardin Marine sea pumps work great.
Thanks for that info, I'll look into that with an email to mother Merc and see what they say. Hyd. Steering will no doubt be in my future but it's gonna have to wait for awhile till my $$$$ reserves build back up after the purchase of the boat.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:19 AM
Registered

Update: I did the JR Marine repair, although I didn't purchase their kit. I just copied their technique, copied their template (print screen), rescaled it, printed it, taped it to the transom housing, drilled it, cut it, tapped it for the four 10-32 screws, made a cover plate from 3/16 thk aluminum plate, bent the plate to the slight curve to make it fit flat, Epoxy painted the cover gloss black & applied a new Mercury SmartCraft decal to the cover plate bring it back to what it looked like originally, cut out a Viton Rubber gasket and will be reinstalling outdrive after Thanksgiving.

As for the steering issue, problem resolved, Ride Guide helm pulled in in the trash, removed steering cable.......... installing a SeaStar "FULL" Hyd Steering System for under $800 that woks with the OEM Power Assist unit,
Old 12-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Welcome
Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelocity
I had the exact same problem. I have a 7.4 mpi.stock. I put the high priced octane in it and had the soot. Switched to mid grade and none. A good cleaner to get the spot off is simple green

3pointstar