Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity-40/)
-   -   New problem with head (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity/350110-new-problem-head.html)

veloc410 10-02-2017 04:48 PM

New problem with head

3 Attachment(s)
Just had these heads completely gone through. New guides ,seats and decked .on my last ride a rocker arm popped off the pushrod on the exhuast. Look what i found REALLY

veloc410 10-02-2017 04:57 PM

That is the exhaust port and valve stem on 2 different ports

veloc410 10-03-2017 09:02 AM

I'm pretty sure I know what happen let's see if anybody can come up with the same conclusion I do before I take The heads apart..i can think of 3 things that went wrong on installation

cabin fever 10-06-2017 08:21 AM

I have no clue but you are having some serious ****ty luck. I sure hope next summer is better for both of us.

veloc410 10-06-2017 08:33 AM

#1 The outer diameter of the valve guide bushing get shaved by the hole when it was pressed in. Removing some material needed for a proper press fit #2 They should be using loctite in the hole when they press it in #3 The guide bushing got cracked while it was pressing in. After a few heat cycles the crack shifted, it acted like a collet it and grabbed the valve stem holding it open long enough for the rocker arm to come off of the push rod. I don't think there's any major damage done because the valve looks OK looking at it from the exhaust port it may be bent but nothing serious . Point is I still had to take my engine out of a dam boat I'm pissed off . Poor worksmanship. How do I trust that place again. I'm sure they will fix it for free but who wants to have the same issue again I'm still wondering if I'm going to have any problems with my other guides .

veloc410 10-06-2017 08:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
To old for this

veloc410 10-06-2017 08:47 AM

By the way a man lift works nice for taking the engines out. I took the other engine out because oil pressure is to high and want to change the spring. I'm also looking at drilling rear of heads to return oil back to pan directly from heads

cabin fever 10-06-2017 08:47 AM

I feel your pain brother. I still go "nervous" boating.

Everytime i was seriously ready to give up i remebered what my grandfather taught me....."challenges builds Character". Hang in there man , you'll get it

Wish u were closer, id give ya hand.

veloc410 10-06-2017 08:58 AM

👍👍👊 thanks they are in the garage now so I have plenty of time to fart around with them. I haven't driven my my hotrod all summer. It needs rear tires and inspection. Think I'm going for that first.

veloc410 10-06-2017 09:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Left her on the back burner to long because I love the water so much.

MILD THUNDER 10-18-2017 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by veloc410 (Post 4586501)
#1 The outer diameter of the valve guide bushing get shaved by the hole when it was pressed in. Removing some material needed for a proper press fit #2 They should be using loctite in the hole when they press it in #3 The guide bushing got cracked while it was pressing in. After a few heat cycles the crack shifted, it acted like a collet it and grabbed the valve stem holding it open long enough for the rocker arm to come off of the push rod. I don't think there's any major damage done because the valve looks OK looking at it from the exhaust port it may be bent but nothing serious . Point is I still had to take my engine out of a dam boat I'm pissed off . Poor worksmanship. How do I trust that place again. I'm sure they will fix it for free but who wants to have the same issue again I'm still wondering if I'm going to have any problems with my other guides .

This the same place that told you that your guides were junk in the EQ heads, and you needed new guides and seats? Sounds like you need to find a new cylinder head shop.

veloc410 10-18-2017 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER (Post 4588737)
This the same place that told you that your guides were junk in the EQ heads, and you needed new guides and seats? Sounds like you need to find a new cylinder head shop.

Lol the **** doesn't stop. I'm sure they will fix it for free but not going back. That could have been catastrophic. I'm not real happy. Hopefully guide hole dia. is not worn I don't know how long it was moving. Hopefully it just came out. It definitely wasn't pressed in properly or care wasn't taken before hand. You could see by eye the guide ID was not concentric to guide OD. That was very clear and easy to spot

veloc410 10-18-2017 05:37 PM

I will be using Gor Den racing engines from now on. They are very meticulous there