Test ran the new Raylar goodies >

Test ran the new Raylar goodies

Notices

Test ran the new Raylar goodies

Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Hail Mary, full of grace please let Ryan00TJ see the light of thou art piston failure.... Sign of the cross. Amen.

I am begging you..... LOL

This happened after I installed headers, changed my cam, rockers and ported my stock (schitty) heads :

Top picture - after hypereutectic piston failure
Bottom picture - whats left of piston after hypereutectic piston failure

Old 01-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Hail Mary, full of grace please let Ryan00TJ see the light of thou art piston failure.... Sign of the cross. Amen.

I am begging you..... LOL

This happened after I installed headers, changed my cam, rockers and ported my stock (schitty) heads :

Top picture - after hypereutectic piston failure
Bottom picture - whats left of piston after hypereutectic piston failure

That's good stuff there!! Lol! I can see why you recommend the piston upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you drop a valve to take out that piston?

If I loose one, I promise you will get the " I told u so"! I've never worried or had trouble up to this point. My injectors have been cleaned. No more paint in the Gen 3 cool fuel box. Fuel system is maintained correctly. I will be watching air-fuel ratio and not revving above 5200rpms. I just don't see .20" more lift and a couple degrees more duration causing a piston to come apart.

If the pistons are lean burned or over revved then definately! The guys that threw on Raylar 525 kits, set 50psi on the fuel psi gauge and ran the piss out of them were the ones who had trouble. Look at donzimatt's experience.... 50psi had his AF/R in the 14 range. He had to bump to 58psi to get into the 12s.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Yeah, just messin with you. I did drop a valve. My fuel PSI is much lower than everyone else but I have a different delivery system with the Aeromotive pump and regulator and assume that's why. Mine is perfect up top and a little rich down low. I took the cool fuel off and have a different method for that. Could probably use a revision to the ECU tune to make it perfect but its not used that much anymore.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Could probably use a revision to the ECU tune to make it perfect but its not used that much anymore.
That's my dilemma thru the project. Can't justify the $$ for 25-30 hrs per summer. Mid-high 70s is plenty for me. Family doesn't like it anyway. They want a tritoon with room and comfort.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
That's my dilemma thru the project. Can't justify the $$ for 25-30 hrs per summer. Mid-high 70s is plenty for me. Family doesn't like it anyway. They want a tritoon with room and comfort.
Same here. All of the wakeboarders at my dock dig my bbc while my gf envies how quiet and slow those boats are. Lol. 25hp and a tiki patio boat is her dream.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Registered

My friends 28' Avalon with twin 300 Verados has spoiled them. It's truly a awesome ride though. Runs 60.
The following users liked this post:
SB (01-17-2021)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

You guys make me appreciate my wife. She loves speed although she does get nervous if it is really snotty water. Hell she bought me a new radar detector for Christmas.

Padraig
The following users liked this post:
Ryan00TJ (01-01-2019), SB (01-17-2021)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Engine gurus correct me if I'm wrong but I wrenched on car engines for 20 years and always believed that you can never reinstall pistons with the old rings. A minimum would be new rings and hone cylinders. I also agree with upgrading the pistons at this time.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Engine gurus correct me if I'm wrong but I wrenched on car engines for 20 years and always believed that you can never reinstall pistons with the old rings. A minimum would be new rings and hone cylinders. I also agree with upgrading the pistons at this time.
No problem in doing so. Just make sure everything stays matched together. You also want to orient the ring gaps on the piston according to the manufacturer spec. I installed new rings for the hell of it. Ring tech has come a long way in just the last couple years. These new Mahle plasma moly rings are pre lapped and seat instantly. My cylinders were in great shape. Out of round/taper well within service spec. Crosshatch pattern looked good.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered

Update. Heads are back and installed. New GM Stellite exh valves. Comp 911 spring kit. Heads milled .006". 1.865" IH 140lbs seat psi. Checked PTV clearance. .180" intake w/203 cam. Exhaust is way over .400". Installed with Felpro marine permatorque gaskets. 4.330, .060" compressed.

Installed Earls 504 oil sandwhich thermostat adapter. Tstat behind to open at 160* and is fully open at 180*. -10 lines. Installed GM 30lb bypass valve. Really cleans up.the oil system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.