Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Velocity (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity-40/)
-   -   Just bought a Vr1 any advice? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/velocity/355429-just-bought-vr1-any-advice.html)

4x4builder 07-18-2018 12:40 AM

Just bought a Vr1 any advice?

Just bought my neighbors 2002 Vr1 with 33 original hrs! First boat but I build/modify everything planning to order a procharger in the next 2 weeks. Bone stock 500efi with xr drive, it was run every year in the driveway and rewinterized. I believe it was only in the water 1-2 seasons always a day boat trailered home and garaged the first time it even saw rain was 2 days ago when I bought it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Padraig 07-18-2018 07:31 AM

First, welcome to the Velocity family. They are fantastic boats.

If this is your first boat I would hold off the performance mods and use your first season to learn how to run a performance boat. Also, while I am not an engine guru it is my understanding that a proc harder is not just a simple bolt on operation. I am sure others will offer more info on Supercharging.

Any specific questions you may have, feel free to ask. There are a few VR 1 owners here and a bunch of current and past Velocity owners.

Have fun and be safe.

Padraig

Ryan00TJ 07-18-2018 07:46 AM

That's a nice find! Congrats! Awesome package for your first boat. Sounds like new with those hours.
Get some seat time and you might not need the Procharger right away. While low hours on the 500efi, it's still 16 yrs old. Make sure everything is running correctly. Change all filters, oil etc...
What prop did it come with?

4x4builder 07-18-2018 08:22 AM

Thanks guys, it was a good find but unfortunate the owner ran it some but then his wife got sick and it was no longer a priority although he was a great mechanic and took good care of it annually. It looks absolutely brand new I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the lowest hr 2002 vr1 hull around. Only issue was squirrels chewed the cover when it was on his deck drying out. Came with 2 labbed bravo 1 props 1 for light high speed run and one for loaded/tubing I don’t remember diameter/pitch I’ll put that up after I take a look.

4x4builder 07-18-2018 08:24 AM

Bellows is original that will be changed right away along with a good overall service

4x4builder 07-18-2018 08:29 AM

Have an issue with the gps speedo not working I believe I can just get a new antenna from what the owner was saying.

4x4builder 07-18-2018 08:30 AM

Tried to post pics ill do a few posts to get them up

Revelocity 07-18-2018 10:01 AM

Welcome. Be very interested to see the pictures of your VR-1. Absolutely heed Padraig's and Ryan's advice on getting seat time skill for a good year first before considering a power upgrade. See how you typically use your boat and then decide if the expense and other trade-offs of supercharging makes sense for you. Where do you plan to run it? I know first hand that the sea conditions at the NJ shore will very rarely allow for fully trimmed speed blasts for your boat (or even my 390!) as currently powered. I run my 280 (predecessor of your hull) on the Delaware River which is smoother until the boat traffic builds it up. It's uncommon for me to "want" to go full bore on the weekends - even with my long k-planes and stand-up bolsters. Best of luck and enjoy your new boat and the reliability of the 500EFI/XR combination.

4x4builder 07-18-2018 10:23 AM

Hey thanks, after running her in the mullica river I’m good with the speed I’m holding off. 40-50 is plenty running wot was a little nerve racking and I’m used to fast stuff.

4x4builder 07-18-2018 10:30 AM

I plan on running in the Delaware and my parents are at great oak in Maryland so the Chesapeake as well. Most of my friends have more family oriented boats running slower then mine.