Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thirdchildhood
  • 1 Post By phragle

Beware of Scammers

Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Default Beware of Scammers

In the past couple months a few instances with scammers have occurred where members with wanted ads have been targeted.

Their M.O is a newer member on OSO sends the person who posted the wanted ad a PM and says his "friend" has what you are looking for.
He then gives you his friends contact info. The "friend" then sends you some pics and tries or does get the member to send some money.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:33 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1993 Formula 271

I know it's stupid coming from me as a new member, who does not know anybody from here, but I think It should be better to make this forum closed or private. If somebody wants to join, contacts the admin or recomendetion from existing members.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (5)

My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI

I also look at the length of time a member has been here and if anyone can vouch for them.
Griff likes this.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:13 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goran271 View Post
I know it's stupid coming from me as a new member, who does not know anybody from here, but I think It should be better to make this forum closed or private. If somebody wants to join, contacts the admin or recomendetion from existing members.

While your idea is good, in the practical sense, its not. We regularly get new members that know nobody, got themselves a boat and need help, Its easy to see when somebody joined, its easy to see someones post count, its easy to ask is if anybody knows somebody or has ever done business with somebody. and its easy to report something suspicious to the mods.
IIts like terrorism, we cant lock the doors and hide in dark rooms because there are terrorist in the world.... We cant put warning labels on peoples foreheads and supervise every transaction, but some common sense and due diligence will eliminate most problem, for the problems that remain, we have .327 page beware threads easily searchable.
Griff likes this.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1994 BAJA 260

Agree. That's what is wrong with a lot of things now, making rules for the exception.