Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Warlock
Anyone have a video of how to R & R a bravo 1 impeller? >

Anyone have a video of how to R & R a bravo 1 impeller?

Notices

Anyone have a video of how to R & R a bravo 1 impeller?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a video of how to R & R a bravo 1 impeller?

I tried youtube but no luck in finding a video or even instructions of how to R&R a bravo one ~1995 impeller.

I want to be able to check mine to see what kind of shape they are in now that it is winter...

Also, how can I check my the oil level of the outdrive? One seems to have a slightly leaking seal with clear, clean oil leaking down the back of the boat from where the stand off Stelling 12 in box connects to the boat.

Can the impeller be done by some one with general mechanical ability or is this something that a shop needs to do? Checking the units oil level?

To replace the leaking seal looks like a major R & R and I think I would get a shop to do this.
Rick
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

bravo 1? What engine? If it's the plastic housing type.....you should have a raw water pump mounted on starboard side of your engine, near the bottom. I replace mine every winter or at least pull the impeller out to let it sit un-bound and re-install in the spring.
Do you have 1/2 qt drive fluid reservior bottles in the engine compartment? They would tell you but if you haven't, clean them out COMPLETELY and re-install. I had on that the fluid gunked up and looked full but actually let the drive run low. If no bottle, remove the top drain plug in the drive and see if you can get/see any drive fluid. If not might be qood idea to change it (I also change the fluid EVERY winter too).
Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
bravo 1? What engine? If it's the plastic housing type.....you should have a raw water pump mounted on starboard side of your engine, near the bottom. I replace mine every winter or at least pull the impeller out to let it sit un-bound and re-install in the spring.
Do you have 1/2 qt drive fluid reservior bottles in the engine compartment? They would tell you but if you haven't, clean them out COMPLETELY and re-install. I had on that the fluid gunked up and looked full but actually let the drive run low. If no bottle, remove the top drain plug in the drive and see if you can get/see any drive fluid. If not might be qood idea to change it (I also change the fluid EVERY winter too).
Great questions! I have been reading all morning about Bravo ones and have heard some say they do not have impellers in the drives but that they are on the front of the motors. First, these are 502's with MPI - 1995 models that were completely gone through by Paul Phaff. It does have clear bottles with oil in the bolted to the back of the engine compartement (see pic). If memory serves me ( I have had this boat for only a couple of weeks) there are what look like water pumps on the front of the blocks and another belt driven pump for sure. Water comes in from the nose cone on the bullet of the drive and goes to sea strainers. Then, god help me - I can't remember... I think it comes out of two hoses - one to the belt driven water pump and the other to the back of the block. Not sure.... Next time I go to the storage facility I will check! Do you think the "impeller" is in what looks like a typical water pump on the front of the block? I will look under the blocks to see if there is some kiind of pump/impeller under them. I just checked out the boat today - had to get my flashlight back - left it in the boat - and saw that what I thought was oil weeping from the stelling stand off box was a full fledged leak. There was a small, 2 inch by 20 inch puddle of oil on the concrete..... Looks like this has to be repaired. When it warms up a bit.... I will check the bottles and if no lower level on this port motor I will check to see if the bottle is gunked up!

Hey, thanks!!!!

Rick

Last edited by TahoeRick; 12-26-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Alpha have the impeller in the drive, bravos are on the motor.

I had a 1998...not positive the 95 is the same but if so: (mine had a serpentine belt) A water hose runs from the transon assembly to the strainer, then from the strainer to the back of a plastic housing pump on the back side of your starboard/lower pulley. This is a fuel pump/water pump (not the same thing as the circulating pump front center on the motor). The entire plastic housing with an impeller inside can be replaced for about $100 kit from Merc.

The drive bottle gravity feeds fluid into the drive so you can watch that level IF....if the bottle isn't gunked up. Remove it clean it completely out, re-install, and add new fluid. It sound like you certainly have a leak at the assembly....if so, it's not a job for a rookie. It could be an O-ring from mounting the drive but if you can't remove/re-install a drive, you need to have someone who knows what there looking at, look at this.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, The impellor is not enclosed in what looks like an automotive water pump, most people replace that with a bypass. It should be belt driven, both the fuel pump and the water pump are one unit. Pretty easy job but if you have never seen it done, it can be tricky. Twin engine boats are kind of tight. Mine are similar and I replace the impellors every winter, fairly cheap and are easier on the work bench than in the bilge on the water. Doug
Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered

Alpha have the impeller in the drive, bravos are on the motor.

I had a 1998...not positive the 95 is the same but if so: (mine had a serpentine belt) A water hose runs from the transon assembly to the strainer, then from the strainer to the back of a plastic housing pump on the back side of your starboard/lower pulley. This is a fuel pump/water pump (not the same thing as the circulating pump front center on the motor). The entire plastic housing with an impeller inside can be replaced for about $100 kit from Merc.

The drive bottle gravity feeds fluid into the drive so you can watch that level IF....if the bottle isn't gunked up. Remove it clean it completely out, re-install, and add new fluid. It sound like you certainly have a leak at the assembly....if so, it's not a job for a rookie. It could be an O-ring from mounting the drive but if you can't remove/re-install a drive, you need to have someone who knows what there looking at, look at this.
You guys are great - thanks for the info! I now know to look at the belt driven water pump and check the back of it. I should then be able to see what both of you are describing. I will then contact my local boat dealer and see if he has the parts. I will also discuss with them the port drives oil leak.

Again, thanks for all the help guys!!! Now to get the right props for this elevation. But, I know I will be using this boat as soon as the weather warms up anywhere within a days drive of Tahoe - that is at sea level or even close ! The existing props will do just fine at sea level. They are dead stock too - lab finishing them might get a little more performance.... I have a call in to Brett asking him just what lab finishing can do for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Rick, The impellor is not enclosed in what looks like an automotive water pump, most people replace that with a bypass. It should be belt driven, both the fuel pump and the water pump are one unit. Pretty easy job but if you have never seen it done, it can be tricky. Twin engine boats are kind of tight. Mine are similar and I replace the impellors every winter, fairly cheap and are easier on the work bench than in the bilge on the water. Doug
Just got an email reply from the previous owner:

the water pumps are on the lower right side of each motor. I would call it a "sea water pump". It pulls water from the bottom of the drive into this pump and then it goes to the engine and goes through the Chevy pump.

I replied to him asking him if he is referring to the belt driven pumps on the front of each motor.

I know this does not pump the fuel because he has two fuel pumps on each motor, one mechanical, the other electric. He did this because he fried some pistons on one motor when the pump failed to deliver enough fuel - it is now a 509 CI....!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27daytona
The previous owner sent me another email about the drive leak:

The oil leak, I think is coming from the front seal on the port drive. Someone has to pull the drive off and diagnois the leak from there. There is also the hose that comes from the bottle you were talking about which could also be the leak. Maybe it needs a new hose. That would be very inexpensive. A Merc Cruiser repair facility needs to remove the drive and determine the location of the leak. The hose could be viewed if you pulled the side covers off the stelliing box and looked in with a flash light. It is very important that the side covers are resealed correctly or the boat will take on water.
Merc Cruiser Bravo One gear oil is what you want to use.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Rick,
I've been fortunate enough to learn alot for some local boaters over the years. My advice, whenever anyone local is working on THIER boat, offer to come help them. You'll get to see lots of projects and will learn in the process. People usually don't mind the help when it's their own boat but may not be so willing to come work on yours.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Rick,
I've been fortunate enough to learn alot for some local boaters over the years. My advice, whenever anyone local is working on THIER boat, offer to come help them. You'll get to see lots of projects and will learn in the process. People usually don't mind the help when it's their own boat but may not be so willing to come work on yours.
Good advice. I now have enough info and should be able to find the "impeller" and a least check to see if the hose is leaking inside the stelling stand off box. If that is not the problem, then its time to talk to an approved mercruiser repair shop. I will also get a flashlight and do a complete inspection of these engines - especially underneath them - so I know where everything is, and what path the cooling water is taking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.