Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   West Michigan Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/west-michigan-offshore-294/)
-   -   Moving to Grand Rapids (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/west-michigan-offshore/338092-moving-grand-rapids.html)

bigredbaja 06-07-2016 05:40 PM

Moving to Grand Rapids

My wife and I will be moving to Grand Rapids in late July and splitting our time between Grand Rapids and Southern Indiana where we currently live. On a recent trip we drove out to Grand Haven Spring Lake area just to look around, has to be a great place to boat? We have a 32' Sunsation that will be staying at our home lake but we are thinking about a 28'-30' CC to run around the shoreline of Lake Michigan, we might do an occasional poker run/fun run as we do at home but mostly just riding to various marinas for lunch and raft off and relax with friends . I have read all the horror stories on the noise police in the area but the idea of a CC seems like it might fit us best and noise is not an issue. Unless my wife wants to drive a truck I wont have a launch vehicle so what marinas are in the area that offer boat storage and can drop the boat in the water. Any information on where to go, where to launch and the lake in general would be appreciated. I doubt we get any time on the water this summer but I have the winter to find the right boat.

Fman 06-07-2016 06:58 PM

I'm from holland which is just down from Grand haven. Grand isle marina is a nice marina that will store year round and do in and out service. If I end up going that route with my boat that's where i will go.

willknotsign 06-07-2016 09:44 PM

Grand Isle is nice for in and out. Spring Lake is no wake for boats over 26' so that might influence your decision. Yacht Basin in Holland offers in and out.

Fman 06-08-2016 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by willknotsign (Post 4447306)
Grand Isle is nice for in and out. Spring Lake is no wake for boats over 26' so that might influence your decision. Yacht Basin in Holland offers in and out.

Forgot to add that to my post. Yacht basin in holland is nice too. I think if I recall without looking it was a little more expensive then grand isle as grand isle has a discount for first time customers or else I would use yacht basin as its 2 minutes away from me.

tommymonza 06-08-2016 08:47 AM

I personally always liked Holland better. Big long Lake Macatawa you can run if the Big Lake is to rough. 5 minutes of idle zone after you enter the channel as opposed to 25 minutes in Grand Haven. And Holland is just 7 miles from Saugatauck to party.

But Grand Haven has a much better night life with their bars downtown.

A lot more industrial looking between the Big Lake and Spring Lake though.

bigredbaja 06-08-2016 09:35 AM

Thanks for information guys...didn't realize Spring Lake was no wake for boats over 26' the smallest I was think was maybe 28' but have to see what I can find. What is in Saugatuck to do? how many miles on the main lake shore is it from Holland to Grand Haven and Saugatuck opposite direction I know but just curious. On an average day on the big lake is it possible to run near shore in a 25-30' boat? Maybe a stupid question I just have no experience on Lake MI. I have no plans to go long distances jus want to be able to run the shore line within a 25-30 mile range.

jbraun2828 06-08-2016 10:14 AM

Grand haven to holland is about 14-15 miles. Saugatuck is another 5 miles south of holland, fun town but not many places to dock. 28-30ft boat will be fine most days on the lake. Other marinas in grand haven with in/out service, wharf, Barrett's, keenen, and northshore marina. Muskegon is another spot to hang out on the water with decent reasturants. Muskegon is 12 miles north of grand haven

tommymonza 06-08-2016 11:07 AM

Grand Haven is 22 miles from Holland . In between there is Port Sheldon about 7 miles from Holland. A good little warm swimming hole .

Both holland and grand Haven are about the same distance from GR

Where you moving in GR?

bigredbaja 06-08-2016 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 4447503)
Grand Haven is 22 miles from Holland . In between there is Port Sheldon about 7 miles from Holland. A good little warm swimming hole .

Both holland and grand Haven are about the same distance from GR

Where you moving in GR?

We have a Condo in Downtown for the first year until we decide where we want to live, we want to purchase a condo eventually preferably in the Forrest Hills area unless my wife decides she likes downtown living.

RSCHAP1 06-08-2016 01:22 PM

Live a little east of GR and work in Muskegon.
Everyone's advice sounds good to me.
Muskegon Lake and area is pretty good spot too.
The Sunsation would be fun up here too
ENJOY !!!