Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Western US/Lake Havasu (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/western-us-lake-havasu-221/)
-   -   Long Beach/Newport Launch Ramps? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/western-us-lake-havasu/172330-long-beach-newport-launch-ramps.html)

zx14 10-31-2007 05:02 PM

Long Beach/Newport Launch Ramps?

New to offshore here, where is the best place to launch/rinse and park the truck and trailer? I checked out Davis ramp by the 2nd street bridge in Long Beach and Stadium Marina, both dont seem to have large enough parking spots. Another question, will I get hasled for no mufflers? I'm just a old river rat learning new ropes.

Racerngr1 10-31-2007 05:58 PM

You could try to launch in back bay in newport. You can launch some big boats there and they have a nice little rinse area.

zx14 10-31-2007 06:08 PM

do you know the street name?

zx14 10-31-2007 06:09 PM

is it the same place called newport dunes?

bripar77 11-01-2007 12:30 AM

Launching

Newport Dunes is decent but at least a 1/2 Idle to the Ocean and make sure you watch the tides. A Low tide when putting the boat back on can sometimes be a problem.

Dana Point is pretty good and has a wash are. Less than 5 min. to the Ocean.

Long Beach works fine and there is plenty of room to park and there is a wash down area.

bripar77 11-01-2007 12:33 AM

Launchin

I meant a 1/2 hour idle from Newport.

I'm not sure i know if Davis is the same Ramp we go to in Long Beach. The one we go to is next to the Hotel and about a 1/2 to a mile up the channel from the Queen Mary

zx14 11-01-2007 06:42 AM

I dont have mufflers, will I get busted?"twin 502's", Never had an issue in havasu

Quality Time 11-01-2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by zx14 (Post 2323657)

Yes

Quality Time 11-01-2007 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by zx14 (Post 2324043)
I dont have mufflers, will I get busted?"twin 502's", Never had an issue in havasu

I have twin 496's and (knock on wood) have not had a problem in Newport.

Quality Time 11-01-2007 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by zx14 (Post 2323655)
do you know the street name?

Jamboree at Back Bay Drive. Last light before you hit PCH.

Dude! Sweet! 11-01-2007 03:33 PM

Davies is on 2nd and PCH, the ski race launches from the Queen Mary lot down on the other side of the harbor. You come out through Los Alamitos bay from Davies. There's some big spots there but it seems crowded with fishing boats.

I have been told that with my new dry pipes, I'd better stay out of Newport and Dana Point. Tickets coming and going for $250 a pop. But, when I had wet tails (and borderline useless Shotgun mufflers) I didn't have a problem in Newport.

Sunset Marine, down at the end of Edinger in HB is a pretty good place to launch as well. It's one of the shorter rides to the ocean. Lots of parking and 4 ramps. $10. It's just off Bolsa Chica Rd, which is just off the end of the 22.

Oh yah, and welcome to our ocean! :D

Give a shout here or on the Scope site (Scopeinfo.com) anytime you come down. Most of us post up when we're going out and will do runs to the island, yardhouse or wherever.

seahawk 11-01-2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! (Post 2324640)
Davies is on 2nd and PCH, the ski race launches from the Queen Mary lot down on the other side of the harbor. You come out through Los Alamitos bay from Davies. There's some big spots there but it seems crowded with fishing boats.

I have been told that with my new dry pipes, I'd better stay out of Newport and Dana Point. Tickets coming and going for $250 a pop. But, when I had wet tails (and borderline useless Shotgun mufflers) I didn't have a problem in Newport.

Sunset Marine, down at the end of Edinger in HB is a pretty good place to launch as well. It's one of the shorter rides to the ocean. Lots of parking and 4 ramps. $10. It's just off Bolsa Chica Rd, which is just off the end of the 22.

Oh yah, and welcome to our ocean! :D

Give a shout here or on the Scope site (Scopeinfo.com) anytime you come down. Most of us post up when we're going out and will do runs to the island, yardhouse or wherever.

dry pipes:cool-smiley-027::ernaehrung004::cool-smiley-027:

Dude! Sweet! 11-01-2007 04:14 PM

You'll be able to hear me running from your house! :D

zx14 11-01-2007 09:55 PM

Stopped by sunset at the end of edinger today, looks like the place to go, The Woman inside was really nice and told me there is plenty of parking this time of year on the weekends and said when it warms up just give her a call a day ahead of time and she will save parking places for us. She said lots of go fast boats launch there and dont get hasseled about noise, A paul paff truck was there launching a noisy hot rod and did not seem to get a second look. the sheriff is right there too! I plan on going out on saturday. knock on wood:party-smiley-048:

bripar77 11-01-2007 10:53 PM

Sunset Marinas

I launched there a few times practicing for the Catalina Ski Race and what I remember is that there was no fresh water outlets to Flush with. Maybe that has changed.

MM1 11-02-2007 01:51 AM

They have fresh water flushing areas there now but bring lots of quarters to feed the machine so it doesn't run out while flushing and you need your own hose. Good Luck Matt

JohnnyG 11-02-2007 01:58 AM

Huntington Harbor (end of Edinger) has a pay to wash facility now, but it costs a couple bucks for a few minutes or something. We like it there 'cause it isn't far to the ocean through the harbor. It's only $10 for the launch and parking too, which is less than Newport Dunes.

Be sure to keep to the left of the channel after you go under the PCH bridge on your way out. The right side is restricted and patrolled by the navy.

John

Dkahnjob 11-09-2007 12:23 AM

Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro has a nice ramp also, lots of parking, but no water to wash or flush out.

Marina Del Rey has a very nice ramp, good parking and nice wash racks, bring quarters and a hose.

The Ramp just North of the Queen Mary in Long Beach is also a nice ramp, good parking, and wash rack, water is free, but bring a hose.

Alwyzonit 11-14-2007 02:26 AM

I like the Newport dunes, i usually stay the nite at the Hyatt so me and the ladies can party and hit the jaccuzi..!

Quality Time 11-14-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob (Post 2331152)
The Ramp just North of the Queen Mary in Long Beach is also a nice ramp, good parking, and wash rack, water is free, but bring a hose.

Agree, but pick your lane, it has a severe break-over angle and you can hang your trailer up:cool:

irepo 11-14-2007 10:35 PM

You don't have to park in the marked spots at Davies. You can park alongside the waterline curb, parallel to the docks. That's the only place I can fit. I launched out of there about three weeks ago and there were very few boats there. Parking was not a problem.

zx14 11-29-2007 07:20 PM

Launched out of Huntington Harbor last sunday, nice place good parking and all went well. I offically popped my,"offshore" cherry.:D

Anarchy Powerboats 11-30-2007 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by zx14 (Post 2323657)

Ci Senor.

blefever 12-30-2007 10:40 PM

The Long Beach ramp by the Queen Mary is called the South Shore ramp. At low tide you need to stay to the right going out the channel. Take a look on Goggle Earth.

It is a steep ramp so longer trailers need to hit it at an angle. My friend with a 38 Top Gun lunches there so it can be done.

Good parking and wash down, short ride to the place where you can push the sticks all the way forward.

The Newport Dunes is very nice but a long ride to the ocean, although the views are good.

Semper Fi 01-01-2008 03:15 PM

Alot of the California ramps don't have fresh water flush. :(