Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Western US/Lake Havasu (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/western-us-lake-havasu-221/)
-   -   Powerboating near Las Vegas (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/western-us-lake-havasu/346136-powerboating-near-las-vegas.html)

MJBoater 04-11-2017 05:52 PM

Powerboating near Las Vegas

I may be looking to move to Las Vegas. I have a 38' Fountain Lightning that I would like to take with me. Where do most people go boating? Are there marinas or storage places that drop you in typically? Possibly living in Summerlin NV which is close to Vegas.
I like to cruise around 70 mph but sometimes open it up to mid 90s. Do the lakes have regulations on speed?

srl520 04-11-2017 06:28 PM

Some things to consider. Your boat will be fine on Lake Mead (45 min) to the closets launch ramp. Lake Mojove is below the damn (1hr) away. Lake Havasu (3hrs) away. Lake Powell (5hrs). And New Port Beach (4hrs).
All of these places are popular for boaters in LV. Lake Mead is a National Park so the services there are very limited. There are 3 marinas in the lower basin. This is where you will see most people spending there time. There are a few sandy beaches that can be found and Sandy Beach is the most popular. There are no speed limits on the lake, but they do ticket for exhaust noise in the marinas if it is over a curtain db. Don't know what that # is. There is no inside storage at any of the marinas and none of them assist you in launching. Launch ramps are all new in the last couple yrs 6 lanes wide. The water is up right now, so launching is no problem. Water does fluctuate through yr. As the water goes down it does make it more tricky to launch bigger boats if the water goes down to expose the end of the ramps. This has happened a couple times over past couple yrs. Summerlin is great place to live, but if your are wanting to get to the lake in 20 min. little to no traffic, consider E. side by Henderson. Traffic can add 1hrs to your commute to the lake. We usually are are the water middle/end of January till November.

MJBoater 04-11-2017 06:42 PM

thanks for the response. Is there a water issue on Lake Mead? How deep is it?

srl520 04-11-2017 08:27 PM

Lake Mead is reservoir. Depending on the winter run off and the demand down stream all the way into Mexico. The water level changes every yr. The last couple yrs the water has been at its lowest. This yr it is up 20' and is planned to go up another15' this summer due to the abundance of snow in the Rockies. Now, don't lets this confuse you. There is plenty of water. it is 300ish feet out in the middle of the basin. What the level going down affects is the boat landings. As the water has continued to go down over the many yrs, the launch ramps have to be extended. This has not been a problem, although they usually take about a yr for them to get the work done each time the water gets lower than the last time the ramps were extended. The other reason they maintain the ramps and keep extending them is that there is lots of house boats on the lake and they are always moving them in and out for maintenance and repairs. I have been on the lake for 15yrs and never had a day I could not get my boat on the water. So there is plenty of water.

RoundUp Cup 04-17-2017 12:16 PM

Be careful with your lightning on Mead alot of people have been hitting rocks lately that lake is filled with obstructions and they dont get around to marking them all with bouys although they do try. Big boats arent very good for that lake until it raises more though it sounds like it might be getting better. Youll be rite at home with your rig in Lake Havasu LOTS of big boats, the lower portion of the colorado river, and the California coast. From long beach, Huntington beach and Newport harbors you can travel to Catalina and from Ventura Channel islands harbor you can enjoy the channel islands. Very beautiful boating in Channel islands! Castaic lake is also fun and good for the real hot portion of the summer when other lakes are a drag, just be sure your rig is dry dry dry at Castaic lake!

Not many of the harbors are like florida with drop in and dry dock services other than some of the coast harbors. Newport and Huntington harbor offers dry storage in back bay harbor at the dunes rv resort and launch but it is trailer dry dock and they will launch your rig with a truck if you desire. Kind of nice when you want to pull up in the car and not have the hassle. Channel islands harbor offers very minimal storage and dry dock services

Welcome to the west coast waters btw!

srl520 04-18-2017 08:46 PM

I'm on the lake every weekend. Water is up 17' from last yr. I was out every weekend last yr. Never hit anything in the water. Stay away out from shore and you will be fine. There are many coves and beaches to venture to that are obstruction free. Just use common sense when entering into a uncharted area and slow down. You can see obstructions under the water 20' down and many you can see as you approach as the water changes color. I am around 10-30 boats most weekends and I have not known of anybody saying they have hit anything in the water. If they did, they would be sure to pass on the obstruction so it doesn't get some else.
There is quite a following of large boats 35-50' boats that shoot across the lake to Long Point most weekends during the summer.
As stated above, there are many other options of places to go to.

RoundUp Cup 04-18-2017 09:03 PM

Good to hear it Is higher that's a Great Lake to run

mbjhachapi 04-19-2017 02:42 PM

Srl520 is dead on. We have a houseboat at Las Vegas Boat Harbor. Hemenway to the old school boaters. Launching can be a bit of a challenge, but have always been able to. We were out Easter weekend and was happy at the number of people out and about. I am biased, but Calville leaves a lot to be desired unless the water comes up 10 plus feet. Launching/recovery is ok, but parking and facility access is tougher. We have family in Summerlin and can guarantee you will have a 45-60 min. trip one way to the lake. Lots of storage options in Henderson and Boulder City areas tho.
Love to take first timers out to show them how "low" the water is. It is a big azzed lake. Just when you leave one part of the lake there is a whole other part that is just as big if not bigger. Can't wait to get back out there. Good for you svl520. Love that place.
Michael

JackReacharound 06-19-2019 02:18 AM

Did you ever bring that Fountain out to Lake Mead?

MJBoater 06-19-2019 06:45 AM

No i didnt. Did not end up moving there