Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > WKYPA
Comments/Thoughts/Future of Ky Lake Poker Run >

Comments/Thoughts/Future of Ky Lake Poker Run

Notices

Comments/Thoughts/Future of Ky Lake Poker Run

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope that the future of this poker run will continue!! we really look forward to this event every year. the lunch stop is awesome and hope to do it again. So please lets do all we can to keep this alive and keep attracting more boaters...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BuddyLuV
I just hope that the future of this poker run will continue!! we really look forward to this event every year. the lunch stop is awesome and hope to do it again. So please lets do all we can to keep this alive and keep attracting more boaters...
In that case, rogerws shouldn't be involved. I think he failed this one up too much to ever recover.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree, EVERYBODY needs to do whatever is possible to keep events like these alive. Hopefully, lessons were learned and changes will be made.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Ditto
Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered

I don't know if I have time this morning to comment on all the points made,

several of the issues mentioned here result from the lack of people not pre-registering. It is tough, almost impossible to plan any event successfully when you can't get an accurate head count. Running out of food Friday night is a direct result of this. As of Thursday there were 18 boats registered, using that number and adding in the local crew that might show up, we guessed that food for 125 people should be enough, after reading this thread, it wasn't, for that I'm very sorry, Tracey or myself didn't get anything either, and you can tell by looking that I don't miss many meals!!

Back in October, Roger and I went to Dover Tn. to meet with the owner of Fat Daddy's, I've been wanting to make that a lunch stop for several years, the lady was very receptive to our ideas and was ready to do what we needed to make it happen. Then she sold Fat Daddys in March to the current owner, she failed to mention to him about the run or to us either. Roger discovered this in early May, and finally, was able to contact the new owner and tell him of our plans, some he agreed to, some he did not but after planning this for 8 months it was too late in the game, to make different lunch plans. I'm sorry for the "wait for food" that everyone had, it wasn't supposed to be that way, Tracey and I didn't get to eat there either.

gotta go, I'll touch on more later. You know, if there was a real WKYPA or something similar that could take on the run.......................

Mitch
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Thanks for the explanation Mitch. I didn't have a problem with the food issues so much because I knew you guys had a huge "walk up" crowd for the run. It is nearly impossible to handle that because you just can't win. I've planned big events in the past and I know the dilemma. You buy too much food to be safe and you decrease the proceeds for charity, don't order enough and people get upset.

Thoughts to resolve this issue next year: 1) Charge a premium for people who fail to preregister and/or 2) Make arrangements for preregistered participants to get food first.

The AC at the banquet was the only real issue I had with the run this year. I know a lot of the girls got dressed up and it had to be a disappointment for them (and us since we didn't get to see them). I'm just glad my wife wasn't there, because she would have been much more upset than we were. As for us, we just went and rode go-karts.

The prize issue doesn't bother me either. I'd rather have the plaque than some cash. After all, when you consider the food (if you got some) and shirts, we really didn't pay much to run. I'd rather the cash go to the Flood charity than in my pocket. If I was that worried about money, I wouldn't have burned $500 worth of fuel in two days.

All-in-all we had a great time again and plan to come back. The people at the run are great and the course/lake was perfect. That's why we make the trip.

Keep your head up Mitch, you're a stand up guy!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered

Mitch
how many boats this year?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree with several of the points made. This was my first year at the run and I came in with high expectations based upon stories from previous years. Let me say first that the run itself was GREAT!!! Lunch could have definitely gone better, but remember it was the first time and they have to learn. Being the winner I was a little disappointed that my first and likely only first place at a poker run paid $0. But I know Roger was trying to keep the entry fees down and that was the reason behind no prize money. No Problem. The Party Saturday night was a flop, I don't know how early it was known that there was no AC at the Convention Center but if it was advanced notice then other arrangements should have been made.
As for "Friday Night Fights"... That was rediculous!! I'm not taking anyones side in this but let me say this... The music that was being played when Roger asked them to stop was very in-appropriate for the venue! There were kids there and there were many private slips within earshot of the music and I'm confident that many of them did not appreciate the music being played. We were in a public place and he was playing some very explicit music. In the Rock Quarry or in a private venue like the Convention Center it's one thing, but on the dock is a little different. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Lake Rat; 07-01-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered

maybe they should play Hannah Montana next time. Don't turn on the radio either, they play that stuff on there, and it's also all over the television. Maybe the party should've been somewhere else, but there's not a song in the world these days that are appropriate. From what I understand, that music was REQUESTED by other members of the party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.