Notices

Staggered

Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone of a cabin pic of a 39gun and donzi 38zr to compare to a 37avh?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkspx
I do lot of my own work and would love staggered engine setup just for the fact of getting things done easier the a aside by side setup.
Man, it doesn't get better than having a box fan and a portable TV in the bilge with you.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staggers arew going to be harder or slower to dock or manuver anywhere.
It is like a twin engine propeller drive airplane.
example:
You have the props turn the same direction ..both turning tom the right ..if the left one quits the right engine becomes known as the "critical engine.
Aircraft harder to control because as right prop turns and on the down side of the turn the energy/thrust called "P" factor is farther away from the center line of the aircraft. Harder to control aircraft

If they are counter-rotating (in aircraft..both turn inward) if power loss occurs more controllable because the "P"factor is close to the centerline or fuselage.
Boats usually counter-rotate away from each other and the "P" factor is farther away from the center of the boat..so more leverage/easier docking/manuvering.. Want something really F**ked up ..stagger those babies and turn the props inward.
Comparing a DDC/AVH HULL TO ANY OTHER STEP BOTTOM BOAT is like comparing APPLES to ORANGES..NO..to a CONCRETE TRUCK.
Besides who would want to give up the engine compartment space or cockpit space.

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 10-04-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

STAGGERING is what you do on DUVAL!!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

THere are good pints on both side of the discusion here.I will add my .02 having owned one of the few very old staggards out there. Docking is simple. I have driven both types and if you are having a bad day You ain't docking anything anyway.

My old scarab was a staggard. It never had the performance we thought it would have based on other peoples experience with the side by side. I believe the reason was that the COG was to far forward. When you used a stern lifting prop. It slowed down. When you used a bow lifting prop. it seemed to speed up more, but not as fast as the side by sides were reporting with similar set ups.

I am in agreement that the boat manufacturer has to engineer the hull for this set up. Modern boats will run faster whether they are staggard or not. It is by design. Nwere cigs and fountains etc. look really cool with staggard engines. I wonder if you asked Reggie how many MPH difference it really makes moving that motor forward does, or is it that they look awesom, or people believe that is what makes them fast.

I say go with what the maunufacturer gives you. Most current 525 powered 37-38' boats out there. Staggard or not run between 80-90mph. It doesn't take much to make them 100mph wether they are staggard or not.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Anyone of a cabin pic of a 39gun and donzi 38zr to compare to a 37avh?
There is no comparison.

Maybe might compare a 38 Donzi ZX to an AT, but never a TG. With exceptions, TG's quit having decent sized cabins in the 90's and nver things like AC, stoves, sinks, microwaves, etc.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

JEFF1000MAN is probably closer to the truth..A MARKETING PLOY!
Just about every manufacturer has a step bottom. They all have new wild paint colors..carbon fiber is the norm now..so they need something new( which it isn't) to get those new inflated prices.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

I have noticed in the past years that whether we are offshore Miami or the bay in Destin ..when the water starts kicking up al ittle..either from wind or wakes..the equvilant size Donzis and Fountains seem to start backing down not only against 37AT's but 32's as well.
And I know the other drivers know how to drive.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

staggered has more to do w/ the drives being deeper and closer; therefore both being hooked up more. Plus the cog is moved forward. Also the engines are lower in the boat, keeping the COG lower. Not so much about speed. Its more about the balance.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
staggered has more to do w/ the drives being deeper and closer; therefore both being hooked up more. Plus the cog is moved forward. Also the engines are lower in the boat, keeping the COG lower. Not so much about speed. Its more about the balance.
the more the drives are "hooked up" the more push you have..all the v race boat were staggered.the side by side thing came about so they could market it to the general public..stabbin cabin, cockpit is a selling feature..3 man boat not a real good seller..trust me i know........
Attached Thumbnails Staggered-lastscan23.jpg  

Quick Reply: Staggered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.