Carb gaskets >

Carb gaskets

Notices

Carb gaskets

Old 04-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb gaskets

At the end of the season last year I was having a couple of problems with my motors, one was stalling after it got warm and i came down to idle and the other was hard to start. So I figured I would pull the carbs apart and go through them before this season started hoping that will cure both problems. I did the port carb first and everything went smoothly and seemed normal so i put that one back on and pulled the starboard carb. Right away I see the gasket that goes from the carb to the intake is completely different from one motor to the other and I'm assuming that's not how it is suppose to be. In the picture the gasket on the upper right was on the starboard motor and it's about 1/4" thick, the one on the upper left was on the port motor and it's only about 1/16 thick. The gaskets on the bottom both come with each rebuild kit and their around 1/16" thick.

I'm just not sure which one to use, does it matter if you use the gasket with the 4 individual holes or the one that is all open? and is there any reason why the starboard motor would have such a thick gasket? The motors are stock merc 330hp 454's. if that makes a difference.

One last question...The starboard carb has fuel all over everything, it was even puddled in the intake, do you have any idea what would cause that or anything I should look for while I have the carb out? That's the motor that started up and ran fine but would stall after it got warm and I came down to an idle.

Thanks for any advice, Eric.
Attached Thumbnails Carb gaskets-p4160001.jpg  
Old 04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Carb gaskets

The gasket you need to use is the one on the bottom right. The puddling in the intake is usually because the jet wells leak at the bottom and drip fuel in the intake. When you take the top off the carb, flip it over. You will see 2 welsh plugs that have been pressed into the bottom of the idle jet wells. You need to clean these very well with a brush and carb cleaner. Then mix up alittle bit of epoxy, JB weld, or other like PC7. Put this over the end of the plugs to cover the wells completely. smooth as possible. Let it dry for awhile and then reassemble. start with the idle air mixture screws about 1 1/2 to 2 full turns out from being bottomed out gently. Then try them out, should be good after that. I always put in a new float as well. Cheep insurance.

If you need more info, be sure to call me at the shop.

John S.