Oil Still Too Warm....ideas?? >

Oil Still Too Warm....ideas??

Notices

Oil Still Too Warm....ideas??

Old 05-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Still Too Warm....ideas??

I dont want to make this too long, but here is where Im at......... I have a fresh rebuilt mid 90's carberated 502 with 550 horse. Oil was running close to 260 first time out with water temp at 150. Engine builder said its too hot. Bought a 3x25 oil cooler from keith eickert. Engine builder wanted the oil flow reversed to filter the cooler because of the copper shavings in the new assembly. Mounted the cooler, reversed the flow. I am still running 245/250 at 4500 rpm AFTER the cooler with the water temp still at 150. Oil temp sender is on remote oil filter housing. I have only 1 90 degree fitting and have to have it. Engine builder says that I might need a new sea pump. Tired of spending 500 a week on this problem. ANY replys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Still Too Warm....ideas??

Originally Posted by REBEL4845
I dont want to make this too long, but here is where Im at......... I have a fresh rebuilt mid 90's carberated 502 with 550 horse. Oil was running close to 260 first time out with water temp at 150. Engine builder said its too hot. Bought a 3x25 oil cooler from keith eickert. Engine builder wanted the oil flow reversed to filter the cooler because of the copper shavings in the new assembly. Mounted the cooler, reversed the flow. I am still running 245/250 at 4500 rpm AFTER the cooler with the water temp still at 150. Oil temp sender is on remote oil filter housing. I have only 1 90 degree fitting and have to have it. Engine builder says that I might need a new sea pump. Tired of spending 500 a week on this problem. ANY replys would be greatly appreciated.
Switching to synthetic will not only keep your oil cooler but it can take the heat...up to the 400's F. Forget the temps and switch to MObil-1 15W-50.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

hydrocruiser is right the mobil 1 stuff will bring teh temp down approx 25 to 30 degrees I've seen it in the race motors all the time first time out with regular and after break in synthetic and the temp will come right down as long as all the clearances are right which they probably are .
Old 05-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for the replys. What additive do I need to use in the mobil 1 with the gold cap. I was reading on this board a while ago and cant find it anymore. Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Oil Still Too Warm....ideas??

Originally Posted by REBEL4845
Thanks alot for the replys. What additive do I need to use in the mobil 1 with the gold cap. I was reading on this board a while ago and cant find it anymore. Thanks again!

-Valvoline SynPower Oil Additive has both the highest amount of ZDDP and also ester synthetic additives for about $3.99/bottle.

-STP Oil Treatment has mostly ZDDP in it and it goes for $2.39/bottle.

1 bottle to 4-6 qts of oil

Add either of these two products to what ever you use...synthetic or conventional as ZDDP is a thing of the past in most every oil "we" might consider using in our boats.

Mercury Brand oils still have adequate amounts of this additive I was told and will continue to in the future.

Redline oil if used "straight up" does not require additives. Aslo, Redline is so additive rich that one bottle to 4 bottles of non-ZDDP oil brings the additive level to "normal".

Now that I know that Redline has so much ZDDP and moly in it I am not sure if I would use it in an aluminum engine as ZDDP in greater than .02% concentrations may not be aluminum friendly. Marine engines are "iron pushrod pigs" and that is good as pushrod engines are much easier on the oil than multi valve OHC engines.

Everything else out there that I know of probably will be low or absent of ZDDP. It's too hard to try to check every brand and type.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-27-2005 at 05:32 PM.