Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Whipple intercooler two stage pump or off shore pick up?? >

Whipple intercooler two stage pump or off shore pick up??

Notices

Whipple intercooler two stage pump or off shore pick up??

Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whipple intercooler two stage pump or off shore pick up??

I'm having a problem with low water pressure and as a results my temps are also going up I would like to go with a two stage water pump (KPM) style or a off shore pick up so I won't have to steel water from the motor to feed the inter cooler so who is running what and what kind of result's did you have??

I'm currently steeling water off the crossover to the inter cooler with a single stage pump and dual water pick up's on the lower unit with about half of the upper intake's plugged to help boost the water pressure this is out of the Whipple instructions

As far as a off shore pick up Ware would I locate it so it does not inter fear with the flow of water to the prop's on a straight bottom Top Gun

any help would be appreciated Thank's Don
Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whipple intercooler two stage pump or off shore pick up??

Don -

My engine water pressure increased about 10 psi (15 psi to 25 psi WOT) when I installed a seperate water pickup for the Whipple intercooler.

There are several places that carry them. I got mine from Eddie Marine. I rigged up a small manifold with a fitting that allowed me to attach a water pressure gauge to the intercooler intake hose to monitor intercooler pressure at WOT. Then you have to trim the pickup a little at a time until you get the water pressure you want. Dustin Whipple told me 50 psi should be max at WOT. I run about 30psi.

Every hull is different but I installed mine (single engine) as far from centerline on the transom as possible to avoid causing turbulance at the prop, but close enough that it will always be in the water when on plane. The Whipplecharger instructions also talk about location of the pickup.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running my Whipple intercooler and engine with an external single pickup hangin off the back of the boat. Picks up plenty of water.

Then you won't have to worry about water loss when your trimming your drive. I was thinking about going with an individual pickup for the intercooler, but my water temp never runs over about 115 to 125. I think on my Whipple install they removed the thermostat. Now, my oil temp is another story. I noticed when running hard for a period of time, the oil temp really start getting hot. I have seen temps over 260. I'm working on that problem now.

I think the pickup off the back is the ticket. Its an easy install. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank's for the responses my oil temp is in the 180-185 I'm also running 9-10lbs of boost that does not help I'm working my little blower's

The pick up is cheaper but I'm jest scared of drilling a hole in the wrong spot
Don
Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MnHowardCat
Thank's for the responses my oil temp is in the 180-185 I'm also running 9-10lbs of boost that does not help I'm working my little blower's

The pick up is cheaper but I'm jest scared of drilling a hole in the wrong spot
Don

I don't have a cat but I will see if I can get some pics of where the shop drilled the hole in mine.