Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
whipple stage 2 >

whipple stage 2

Notices

whipple stage 2

Old 03-08-2004, 07:32 PM
boat4life

Default whipple stage 2

Has anybody done a stage 2 upgrade if so what gains did you see.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

b4l, I don't think evryone's ignoring you. I just think that most people with the 496's haven't done many upgrades to them. They bought them to be long term reliable engines and many probably got the 5 year warranty.

In other words, You're in relatively uncharted territory as far as real world experiences. There was thread a few weeks ago about the ASM manifold kit and its performance or in that case, lack of.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Here's the thread.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=73074
Old 03-09-2004, 10:44 PM
boat4life

Yea I saw that I just ordered a set of rev marine manifolds

Old 03-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Rivercrazy

I've also been really interested in the Stage 2 kit from Whipple for my 496HO.

I had a discussion with Dustin over there and this was his input:

Will the kit impact reliability? This will not change the overall life of the engine as long as it's maintained properly.

What if 91 Octane is not available and 97 or 89 must be used in a pinch? If 91 is not available, you can run a lesser octane but we strongly recommend not running WOT, this could lead to damage of the engine with prolong use. Under normal boating conditions such as getting on plane, part throttle cruising, it will not effect the engine.

Does the ECM modification reduce Transom soot? Our package does reduce transom soot, but it's not 100% eliminated, especially in the first 20 hours of the engine.

Does the increase in RPM rev limiter have any negative impacts? We raise the limit of the engine 300 rpm and this has very little effect on the overall life of the engine or the pistons/rods. The torque curve comes in earlier and is flatter than stock. Peak torque rpm is basically unchanged. The advantage of changing the rpm limiter is so you don't have to change the prop, it does not make enough power to typically pull the next size prop and therefore you cannot achieve the desired top end speed or hole shot. With the higher limiter, and continued power increase, it's easier to squeeze mph out of the boat. Of course this depends on your current prop situation such as size, design and current rpm range. The motor does not make more power past 5200rpm, but it holds it pretty steady.

Whats the average increase to top end? 2mph is the average, I've heard of more but I attributed most of those to people who have customizied the props with lab finishing, etc. You should notice a difference in torque, it's noticable. This should have no ill effects on the stock drive. It takes us 1 day to recal the ECU.