Changing axle bearings w/ disc brakes? >

Changing axle bearings w/ disc brakes?

Notices

Changing axle bearings w/ disc brakes?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Changing axle bearings w/ disc brakes?

I pulled ea. tire this eve tri-axle trailer, popped off hub cap and pumped enough grease into ea. axle to fully flush old. Lots-o-pumping!

One cap had allowed water to enter and grease obviously had water mixed in, so I thought I'd swap out bearings while I'm at it. This is my first trailer w/ dics brakes. To pull hub I need to remove caliper right? 5/16 allen wrench openings basically blocked by frame and leaf spring shackle. There is about 1 1/2" clearance, but thats not much room for allen wrench or socket, or to pull bolts.

Best way to access? Ideas? I've had to change bearings on road during long trips before. This is Vanguard trailer, very nice.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BL6
I pulled ea. tire this eve tri-axle trailer, popped off hub cap and pumped enough grease into ea. axle to fully flush old. Lots-o-pumping!

One cap had allowed water to enter and grease obviously had water mixed in, so I thought I'd swap out bearings while I'm at it. This is my first trailer w/ dics brakes. To pull hub I need to remove caliper right? 5/16 allen wrench openings basically blocked by frame and leaf spring shackle. There is about 1 1/2" clearance, but thats not much room for allen wrench or socket, or to pull bolts.

Best way to access? Ideas? I've had to change bearings on road during long trips before. This is Vanguard trailer, very nice.

change them bearings before you leave......
Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BL6

Don't plan on just pumping in grease to solve a problem. Replace the bearing. New bearing are cheaper then a new axle, tire and wheel.

See if jacking other axles up or down to give you better clearance to remove the caliper bolts. On my trailer once I remove the caliper the disc can be removed separate from the hub.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
change them bearings before you leave......
oje gwas up roberto.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a vice-grip to take out the bolt you are refering to. Had the same problem and no matter how high I jacked up the trailer or what angle I could not get clear access to the bolt head with an allen wrench. So the vice-grip did the trick.