Timing mode engine dies and wont restart >

Timing mode engine dies and wont restart

Notices

Timing mode engine dies and wont restart

Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing mode engine dies and wont restart

Stock 1996 Gen 6 502 mpi. (Its an EST not thunderbolt). Just replaced distributor with Rebuilt one. However, it has a automotive big block module will this work or are my problems caused by something else? After setting tdc on #1 I stabbed the distributor and set rotor to #1. Then fire up motor and it runs real rough with dlc connected. Timing waaaay off. I turn off motor disconnect dlc jump terminals A and B then try to restart... motor wont start...either at idle or with a small amount of throttle. If i restab distributor it will restart then do the same thing. Any suggestions? Here's the kicker...First time out a few days ago the motor would not get above 3000 rpms without cutting out. It died every time we hit a wave then restarted... thought bad gas so we ran most off it out and then topped off with new fuel and 5 cans of octane boost. Same problem. Took a look at the old distributor and it was so crusty that the inside terminals almost fell off the cap. I decided to replace the distributor with a new one because the shaft was completely rusted and the module was encrusted with corrosion. Another OSO member mentioned the automotive distributor was the same. The one I purchased from napa had the screen vents and looked absolutely identical even same part number except module was automotive type. Sorry for the long post but im going nuts on this one. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by perfboat
Stock 1996 Gen 6 502 mpi. (Its an EST not thunderbolt). Just replaced distributor with Rebuilt one. However, it has a automotive big block module will this work or are my problems caused by something else? After setting tdc on #1 I stabbed the distributor and set rotor to #1. Then fire up motor and it runs real rough with dlc connected. Timing waaaay off. I turn off motor disconnect dlc jump terminals A and B then try to restart... motor wont start...either at idle or with a small amount of throttle. If i restab distributor it will restart then do the same thing. Any suggestions? Here's the kicker...First time out a few days ago the motor would not get above 3000 rpms without cutting out. It died every time we hit a wave then restarted... thought bad gas so we ran most off it out and then topped off with new fuel and 5 cans of octane boost. Same problem. Took a look at the old distributor and it was so crusty that the inside terminals almost fell off the cap. I decided to replace the distributor with a new one because the shaft was completely rusted and the module was encrusted with corrosion. Another OSO member mentioned the automotive distributor was the same. The one I purchased from napa had the screen vents and looked absolutely identical even same part number except module was automotive type. Sorry for the long post but im going nuts on this one. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Not sure on the auto module never tryed it, Try putting the old module back in and see if it runns better, With the new cap and rotor. I believe that module will need some of that white electronic grease for heat on the back side also.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered

Also on that engine when you go to set the timing and before you put it in base timing mode you need to have the rpms up to 1600-2000 rpms and hold it there till you are done setting it becouse the engine will die if you don't and then you will be able to set it at 8-10 BTDC and get a good reading on it.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered

Thanks boat teck i'll try again this morning. It seems to want to die even with rpms raised as soon as I jump it into timing mode. I also noticed that when bringing the engine to tdc the marks are about 3 inches away from the pointer when I fell strong compression making me wonder if there is a timing chain issue going on as well. If I line up the marks the piston seems to be on its way down. The engine also trys to fire after you just let go of the key when cranking making me think the coil is firing too early or late. I have even tryed to line the teeth up on the pick up coil thinking I was a little off. It was late last night and I was getting frustrated...ive only stabbed a hundtred distributors over the years and am starting to feel like an idiot. I 'll try again. Any other ideas?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by perfboat
Thanks boat teck i'll try again this morning. It seems to want to die even with rpms raised as soon as I jump it into timing mode. I also noticed that when bringing the engine to tdc the marks are about 3 inches away from the pointer when I fell strong compression making me wonder if there is a timing chain issue going on as well. If I line up the marks the piston seems to be on its way down. The engine also trys to fire after you just let go of the key when cranking making me think the coil is firing too early or late. I have even tryed to line the teeth up on the pick up coil thinking I was a little off. It was late last night and I was getting frustrated...ive only stabbed a hundtred distributors over the years and am starting to feel like an idiot. I 'll try again. Any other ideas?
A few things to think about maybe the dampner has spun it's self some how if it will not line up. Also hook up your timing light to the COIL wire and crank the engine over and watch the light to see if you are getting spark, If NOT watch the light when you let GO of the IGN key and If it sparks then, Then you might have either the IGN key hooked up wrong or the IGN system hooked wrong some place, Or it could be a bad module.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Registered

Thanks boat teck! I feel like an idiot. Thats the one thing I didn't check. Completely makes sense because at tdc over the spark plug hole the balancer seems to be about 90 degrees off not the ususal 1inch or so. I had a jeep that did the exact same thing. I'll bet the balancer has spun. Last year i seemed to have more vibration through the cockpit than before. Plus, a weird oil leak a the balancer. I'll check it tonight. Thanks again!