Notices

Fluid Help Please

Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Help Please

I need to change the fluid in my Velvet Drive transmission? I read that I should us Type F or Type FA automatic transmission fluid, but (I almost hate to type this) I am not sure how to drain the old fluid? Could any show me were the plug is? About how many quarts will it take?

I also need to change the "gear oil in the out drive". What is the best gear oil and viscosity for the TRS drives?

What do you use for the trim tabs pumps? I need to change the fluid for my trim tabs as well.

Thanks for the help. Old boats don't come with owner manuals.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unscrew the hose from the fitting on the lower starboard side of the transmission.Then unscrew the fitting out of the tranny.It may have a spring, washer, and tube inside.The tube has a slot in it so when you reinstall have the slot facing down.Fill with dextron ll or type F transmission fluid through dipstick hole to full mark.After running check dipstick to see if you need to top off.You will want to use Mercury High Performance Gear Lube in the drive.4 quarts.In the trim tab pumps use your same transmission fluid.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been told ONLY type F fluid on the tranny. Can be hard to find some times but that is what I use. I am going to take my oil changer pump and put the tube down the dip stick hole and suck it out. Should that work?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is 2 quarts per unit.

I use the Merc High performance lube for the drive.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I think it is 2 quarts per unit.

I use the Merc High performance lube for the drive.
The TRS drive holds 3 quarts itself, then what ever the resevoir holds. $600 later, don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I have been told ONLY type F fluid on the tranny. Can be hard to find some times but that is what I use. I am going to take my oil changer pump and put the tube down the dip stick hole and suck it out. Should that work?
The quote I made on the type of trans fluid being dexron ll or type F for the velvet drive came right out of the Mercury manual #9.As far as sucking it out with a pump I've never tried it but I would think it would work as long as the hose seems to be going all the way to the bottom and you bring out a significant amount of fluid.