Planing Time For A 353

Notices
Formula

Planing Time For A 353

Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planing Time For A 353

I have a new, (to me), 2005 353 Fastec with 525's. Anybody with this set up that can tell me their average time to plane off. I know it will depend on the actual boat load/weight, but I am just looking for some general numbers. I had a trial run last weekend and I was a little surprised at the time to plane off. I had a full tank of gas and just myself on the run and it was taking about 8-10 seconds. It also felt like after struggling a bit, once it reached a certain point, the props would catch and shoot the boat up on plane the rest of the way quickly. May be perfectly normal, I just don't have any experience with the 525 set up in this boat. I am running 5 blade 15.25 X 29 pitch Hydramotive props as set up from the factory and I was not using the trim tabs. They were in a neutral position.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Bad Bird; 04-13-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds pretty common. I have a friend that had HOs in his and it planed the same way. That's just how Formula has them set up.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Registered

I have 502's, with Bravo One 26 pitch props. With three people and a thousand pounds of fuel and cargo, we get right up on plane. We boat on Lake Cumberland, there about every weekend, May thru September.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

The HOs had 30 pitch 4 blade B1s. We were going to try my labbed 28P B1s but never got around to it. Probably would have planed much better.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I have a new, (to me), 2005 353 Fastec with 525's. Anybody with this set up that can tell me their average time to plane off. I know it will depend on the actual boat load/weight, but I am just looking for some general numbers. I had a trial run last weekend and I was a little surprised at the time to plane off. I had a full tank of gas and just myself on the run and it was taking about 8-10 seconds. It also felt like after struggling a bit, once it reached a certain point, the props would catch and shoot the boat up on plane the rest of the way quickly. May be perfectly normal, I just don't have any experience with the 525 set up in this boat. I am running 5 blade 29 pitch Hydramotive props as set up from the factory and I was not using the trim tabs. They were in a neutral position.

Any input would be appreciated.
I don't think the props are factory, check me, but I thought they (Formula) ONLY used Mercury Maximus 5 blades. You shouldn't have any trouble getting on plane. PM me your numbe so we can talk. I've been running my 353 for 5 years now...

Dave
Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
I don't think the props are factory, check me, but I thought they (Formula) ONLY used Mercury Maximus 5 blades. You shouldn't have any trouble getting on plane. PM me your numbe so we can talk. I've been running my 353 for 5 years now...

Dave
I only assumed the 5 blade Hydramotives were factory because nothing else had been altered on the boat. You bring up an interesting question. Do you know what the Mercury 5 blade specs are? I think I will check with the factory.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Where To
VIP Member

I got your PM. Will call you tomorrow when I get a chance.

Dave
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default trim-in limit block

Not sure about your 353, but my 292 arrived from the factory with the trim-in limit block positioned aft. I changed it to allow the drives to tuck in further and it helped the boat plane out a bit quicker. Just don't run at speed with the drives tucked all the way in and turn her hard.
Attached Thumbnails Planing Time For A 353-trim-limit.jpg  
Old 04-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Ken,

How are you making out?

Dave
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
Ken,

How are you making out?

Dave
Dave,

Just got off the lake a couple of hours ago. I tried planing off as you suggested and it took about the same time. It felt smoother than "mashing" the throttles but took as long. I'm guessing just the nature of the beast.

Had another issue today. I think I have a drive trim solenoid sticking. The drives wouldn't move equally and the boat would start listing to the port side.

I also started having some issues with the shifters; they are jumping/vibrating when you get close to the neutral position. I'm guessing a cable adjustment will take care of this. I'm getting a little frustrated but I know it's all just part of working the bugs out of a new boat.

Also, the soot today on the transom was extremely bad.... worse on the starboard engine.

Any thoughts?

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.