Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Need some power steering help please! >

Need some power steering help please!

Notices

Need some power steering help please!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some power steering help please!

I have been fighting a leak from my PS pump for a while now. It is coming from the large fitting on the back that has an O-ring behind it. Changed the fittings, lines, replaced O-Ring, still leaking. I want to replace the entire pump. Anyone know the Part # for this so I can start looking for one to buy?
The motors are Gen V 502's. I am gonna see if this one can be repaired professionally and add a pump to the port motor. I was never crazy about having only 1 pump anyway - If I ever lose my strbd motor, I lose steering, so now might be a good time to rectify that situation. Anyone ever add a PS pump to the sytem before? it doesnt seem like it should be too much of a big deal, I already have the bracket on the other motor, just adding the pump and moodifying the plumbing. Any input here would be much appreciated.
thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are std saginaw GM pumps, not hard to reseal, not why you are having a issue, should be a easy fix for somebody used to working on them..done many...as far as adding another pump not sure how you can plumb another in, you have to have a way to shut off one and loop the pressure back..don't think that whole deal would be worth it.. Rob
Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
those are std saginaw GM pumps, not hard to reseal, not why you are having a issue, should be a easy fix for somebody used to working on them..done many...as far as adding another pump not sure how you can plumb another in, you have to have a way to shut off one and loop the pressure back..don't think that whole deal would be worth it.. Rob
I'm looking for a replacement for steering pump. No. 849906A28 also.
As far as connecting two pumps. get on IMco site. there is a chart and hose diagram for twin set ups. I have two. The only problem now is since THERE is two system, I'm not sure which one of my may be failing. Port or starboard. I have power steering with eaither of the motors. Normaly I go out of the channel on port and return on starboard. Save a few engine hours here and there.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need to add another pump on your other motor is a) a priority valve or b) a check valve in the pressure lines from the pumps, then tee the pressure lines together prior to the char-lynn valve.

Then you will need to have a common overflow/return reservoir that feeds both pumps.

One thing I'm not sure of is if you would need an additional cooler, or if the single cooler will handle both pumps. Probably the best thing would be to just increase the size of the existing cooler, if you find you have temp problems.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES you do need a second oil cooler for the second pump. Looked into it for doing another pump on the other engine, The only problem on the cat is that you can only have one resivor tank to feed both pumps. On a v-hull , you tap off the line from the resivorto feed the secondary pump.