cigarette topgun drive hight >

cigarette topgun drive hight

Notices

cigarette topgun drive hight

Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cigarette topgun drive hight

Looking to purchase imco shorties for my 1994 38 topgun ( 525-550 HP with Bravo one ) and wondering about -1" , -2" or standard drive height. anyone with experience with this setup. Also looking for low water pickup used on topguns with TRS setup.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a dealer of theirs & offer their products..

Usually most people do the -2" unit. Reason being if you are trying to go as high as you can for the most speed and least drag you can start here. Then if you need to drop the unit down a little you can add spacers in as little 1/2" increments without having to buy another lower.

The 3" shorter unit and 1' shorter unit are not as commonly used, and the 3" unit wont fit all prop diameters.. Hope this helps you.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

From my experience, the straight bottom Cigarettes do not respond well to excessive propshaft heights. I've done quite a bit of testing and found that 3.5" below the bottom was as high as you could go before the slip went out of control (25%+) and that was with a SSM gimbal that put the drive further back and a 5 blade Hering. For a Bravo application, I think most would agree that 4.5"-5.5" below works the best.

Kurt
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info, thanks