changing starter on MCM 5.0 EFI >

changing starter on MCM 5.0 EFI

Notices

changing starter on MCM 5.0 EFI

Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing starter on MCM 5.0 EFI

Im looking for some good instructions for changing a starter on my Sea Ray 210 (Mercruiser 5.0L EFI). I have looked through the manuals, but could not find anything. THanks -Jordan.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, If your boat has a divider panel between the engine & storage remove it,(usually screwed in with L brackets) to give as much room as possible. Disconnect battery cables, If you have a bracket on the end of the starter to the block loosen the bolt but dont remove yet. Older boats have a metal flywheel shield newer ones are plastic & have dimples moulded around the starter bolt heads. Break the bolts loose with a good thin wall 6 point socket or box end wrench,I use a snap on med length 1\4 inch socket with a3 inch extension, if you have the bracket on the starter just remove the bolts the starter will not move if not pull the inside bolt first then the outer remember the starter is heavy especially with your arms extended. With rear bracket remove that bolt last & starter should angle out enough to remove wires from solenoid. Now would be a good time to inspect flywheel teeth if they are chewed up replace flywheel. (much more work) If you have shims you will most likely need them. Check starter snout to make sure they are the same if ok reverse procedure to install ( hint there is a space in the bolt holes before the threads you can hook the bolt to hang the starter til you get the other bolt started,easier than trying to hold it up there & start a bolt at the same time) hope that helps you out Randy